Super selective schools - which ones are they?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Googley2

Super selective schools - which ones are they?

Post by Googley2 »

Hi I have just came across this term for the first time today and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a list of these schools, so I can look them up for my own reference? Thank you.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Super selective schools - which ones are they?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Put simply, a superselective describes a grammar that selects on top scores, rather than catchment areas (although some do have priority areas, such as KES Stratford).

Some grammars, for example in Bucks, select based on a pass (so scores can vary hugely) and then oversubscription criteria like distance. Some regions like Kent have both superselectives and regular grammars.

Generally speaking superselectives are also highly competitive with a higher ratio of applicants to places.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The grammar schools of the King Edward Foundation, Birmingham

The Gloucestershire grammar schools

Colchester County High School for Girls (as I have already suggested to you when you posted that you were thinking of moving to Colchester or Ipswich :) )

Colyton Grammar School, Devon

A couple of the Kent grammar schools (Dartford and Tonbridge, ?another, try looking at details on the Kent CC secondary school admissions website)

Top 180 candidates in the London Borough of Bexley exam get to choose a place at any of the grammar schools in the borough. (Otherwise, no chance for someone applying from several counties away)

The Henrietta Barnett school in ?Hampstead Garden Suburb.

An awful lot of traipsing a child around the country to take exams, really, but people do do it (for some reason best known to themselves, I'm afraid a lot of us would add).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Also Queen Elizabeth School, Barnet
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:Also Queen Elizabeth School, Barnet
From the OP's previous posts, we are looking for girls' schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Oh I hadn't realised! Thanks..
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Nonsuch, Tiffin Girls and Wallington High in Sutton. TGS has a catchment but it is huge.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think Kendrick is also classed as super selective, also has a large catchment.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Googley2 wrote:Hi I have just came across this term for the first time today and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a list of these schools, so I can look them up for my own reference? Thank you.
There are super selective gs all over the country and their requirements are very individual. Perhaps it would be easier to identify an area you want to be in and then take the investigations further, looking at the admissions/exam/residency criteria for the individual schools in that area. I'm afraid there's no "one size fits all" solution.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Newstead Woods in London Borough of Bromley and Tonbridge Grammar in Kent are both superselectives. The latter does the IB rather than A Levels and has priority parishes so the score required is higher for out of county applicants. A fair number of Newstead girls transition to St Olaves for sixth form so they usually do better at GCSE and then St Olaves leapfrogs Newstead for A Levels. Newstead has a nine mile radius catchment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now