Extra 30 places at Rickmansworth Sep 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
decaff

Extra 30 places at Rickmansworth Sep 2016

Post by decaff »

Just received notification from head that due to substantial increase in applications for entry to year 7 this year, Rickmansworth will be offering an extra 30 places in September 2016. This will be good news for local children. Number of applications must be massive this year as SCD also offering extra places.
Guest55

Re: Extra 30 places at Rickmansworth Sep 2016

Post by Guest55 »

Some of the expansion is driven by finance - an additional 30 students amounts to a lot of money!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow. As academic and music places are a percentage of total spaces will this also increase those places as well and not just distance? Or will it mean a further dilution of the academic spaces? DG
rosegarden

Post by rosegarden »

The Head's message doesn't actually say, it just talks about the extra form. I don't think they are allowed to change the admission rules, though, so it must increase the number of academic and music places, as well as those living closest to the school?
WP

Post by WP »

The school will want to increase the academic and music places to keep them at 25% and 10%, because if they lower the selective proportion they can't increase it again.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As I said they are a percentage not a total number so if the intake rises than for the percentage to remain the same the academic and music places need to increase. DG
tense

Post by tense »

The Watford Observer reports that there will be 26 places that "would be for children who live close to the school".

Not that I trust the local paper - think WP & DG are far more likely to be right!
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

after chatting with someone who works in admissions on a different website the PAN is the same, there is just admission above the PAN this year. The admission rules state a % of the PAN will be academic / music so the numbers admitted under these rules will be the same as any other year. The additional places will all be distance places! So the children of Croxley, Ricky ( as 1/2 of the additional distance places will head towards Ricky direction) and Chorleywood will all benefit from 60 additional places in the system, yet those in watford get no extra places.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I noticed that SCD have come out much further on distance 3700m where as Ricky not much difference to previous years at this stage despite increase in PAN. So it seems Chorleywood and surrounding area have really benefited from SCD increase in places. Not sure where 3700m comes out to mind you I guess perhaps maple X and Mill End.