Year 7 Calculator problem

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
amfnc

Year 7 Calculator problem

Post by amfnc »

Hi all

My DS is very good at maths, but for some reason really struggles using the mathematical calculator. TBH I'm just not sure if he's been shown how to use it properly and he's shy so won't ask the teacher! Can anyone recommend worksheets/user guides/workbooks that I can access either online or hard copy so that I can sit with him and show him properly how to use it at home? I'm looking for something that he and I can sit and work through just so that he gets to grips with it and becomes confident using it. I would say level wise, we'd be looking at level 6/7 work (yes I know they don't work on these levels anymore but just as a guidance) but anything from level 5 upwards would be a good start. I've looked on BBC bitesize but there isn't a KS3 calculator section.

Thanks so much!
Yamin151

Re: Year 7 Calculator problem

Post by Yamin151 »

Have you tried you tube?

For example, a quick search "how to use a scientific calculator" came up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XkRIG4Snw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not watched it but worth a look maybe?

I ought to look, I have no idea how to use one!! :oops:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

+1 Yamin - so much info on Youtube. Might be worth entering the type of calculator too, to see if you can find some more specific results.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is it something common like this one?

http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php ... =004001127

If it is one that the school has told you that you must buy so that all the pupils hat the same one, then I would contact the maths teacher / head of department and ask for a copy of the user guide.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks all, I'll have a look when I get home later and check the model/look at the user guide. I was really just wondering if there were any practice worksheets/workbooks etc anywhere (am happy to buy something)? I wanted him to have something he could work through with the calculator. It could well be that there isn't anything like that available and I'll have to ask the school (I did send them an email 2 weeks ago and am still waiting for a response :roll: )
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If DS has a Casio then they are all pretty similar. Unless he has quite an old one. If he hasn't, then get one instead (unless the school specify a non Casio one). The maths teacher should be able to help regardless of type, but it's easier to explain to a whole class if they all have the same/similar.

Just focus on the operations he will need for now. So using the memory, squares, powers and roots etc. Don't worry about the functions he doesn't need yet (like trig functions, logs etc) Practise them individually and mixed up so he gets it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools specify a model and devote a lesson near the start of the year to show students how to use the basic functions. Trigonometric functions would not be included until they are needed.

Which model has he got? Did the school recommend a specific model?
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Yes all boys have the same model, we had to purchase through the school and yes I'm pretty sure it's as casio - I'll have to check model when I get home later. I'm sure the teacher has shown the whole class, but for some reason he just hasn't grasped it! He's a very quiet boy and when I've told him to ask the teacher he tells me that there's never time before or after lessons (I think it's because he's too embarrassed to ask).

So if I go through the user guide with him, the bits I need to make sure he understands are memory, square, powers and roots? Anything else?

If anyone does know of any worksheets, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just make some questions up!!

Thanks again, all very very helpful :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Definitely speak to the maths teacher, there may even be a friendly 6th former/maths prefect who could give him a hand if he doesn't want to see the teacher about it . The teacher could arrange this. Is there a lunchtime maths "clinic" he could pop into?

You can bet he's not the only one who's not quite got to grips with it yet.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is it knowing when to use brackets? What sort of mistakes is he making?

[PS I teach maths]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now