11 Plus information required

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BezuCool

11 Plus information required

Post by BezuCool »

Dear All,

Thank you for reading my request and helping me.

My daughter is in Year 4 and we planning for her to appear for 11 plus examination. Please be kind to let us know where to start from?

We live in Ealing-London and perhaps we would like your recommendations so as how to prepare her for 11 plus.

Let us know the books, tutor details and above all please we need your motivations.

Kind regards
yoyo123

Re: 11 Plus information required

Post by yoyo123 »

I presume you are looking at schools in Berkshire?

This is a good starting point for information.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If you are living in Ealing and looking at Berkshire schools, then make sure you check the admissions criteria about catchment areas. Reading and Kendrick both have catchments and it is high unlikely that anyone ooc will get a place. You need to be in catchment at the time you apply for the test (June time in year 5).

The Slough schools have different admissions criteria. There are links to the various Berkshire schools admissions pages in The stickies at the top of the Berkshore section of this forum.

(Alternatively, if you are not interested in Berkshire schools and have posted this in the wrong forum, let us know and we will move it for you.)
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

Thank you for reply so quickly. Please kindly guide us a bit more.

Can I apply for any school in London or do the catchment area scenario apply?

Please also advise me what is CEM? Is it different testing?

Kind regards
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In theory you can apply to any school you like!

However most schools have some sort of catchment. A few GSs do not have any catchment and admission is purely by score.

Of those schools that have catchment, some will usually have places for those ooc, some will be oversubscribed with students in catchment and therefore no spaces for those ooc.

Different schools have different admissions criteria, so it is important to check each school you are interested in.

Selective schools use a variety of different tests. Some use GL, some use CEM, some use other tests or their own in house tests. Some even use a combination. This will be also In the schools' admissions criteria. This will determine what materials, books etc you use to prepare.

If you have some thoughts about which schools you are interested in, we can maybe help you further.
mad?

Post by mad? »

BezuCool wrote: Can I apply for any school in London or do the catchment area scenario apply?
Kind regards
Depending on where you are in Ealing you may currently be in the catchment area for Tiffin Girls. Be aware though that unless you live above a 65 bus stop towards the south of the borough this is a vile journey.

I have heard of Ealing girls applying for HBS, which currently has no catchment. Before you even think about this I would strongly suggest you do the journey at the time and in the way that your DD would have to. There is no direct transport. Then go back to thinking about Slough schools.

Good luck
mad?
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

Thank you again for your replies. I should now check the schools closer and their criteria for this year. This would help me to thought about their process for coming year. I would shortly ask for more help.

You all are awesome :)
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

Good Morning All,

I have now established that I would be applying for my daughter in Berkshire region. Slough School operates as consortium testing. Does that mean we should fill out only one application form and she would sit for one test only for all schools in that reigon?

Also please advise as she is in Year 4 now, when does the registration start?

Lastly, can anyone recommend how to find a tutor in Ealing or anybody from Ealing in the forum can suggest one?

Thank you and kind regards to All !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about the process in Slough & someone who does will answer that. I am slightly concerned that you may want to apply to the Slough schools simply because they are grammar schools. Have you visited any of them to see if they would suit your child? Please consider that they might be better at a local school with local friends (having said that I think quite travel from Ealing to Slough because of the train links). It really is important to find the right school for your child - if they are in a grammar school which is not suited to them, they might be better in a comprehensive setting which is. My apologies if you have already considered this & think one of the Slough schools is the one for your child.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

In this instance Bezucool google is your friend.

https://www.sloughconsortium.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WRT Ealing tutors ideally try to get a personal recommendation but ensure they are geared up for the Slough tests, not indies.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now