pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bubbles123

pass mark

Post by bubbles123 »

hello, i was wondering what is the percentage pass mark for maths. is it about 88% or is it higher. could somebody please suggest a useful benchmark % score. even a rough idea would be very helpful. for tiffin girls, wallington and non-such. for the maths paper. thanks !!!
SunlampVexesEel

Re: pass mark

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

It's not really about percentages; it's about outperforming the peer group on the day.

Aim for the best you can do... and see what happens.

If you really need an answer... 100%
Animis opibusque parati
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Taking into account that many children may perform weaker under the pressure of the real exam day, I would aim for at least 90% accuracy when doing practice papers at home. We tried to aim at mid-90% in the run up to the exams.

Anything less than 85% and your DC's chances won't look very good, mainly because the lower the score, the more children who perform on the same level, i.e. the lower the exam score, the more crowded it gets..... Having said that, I agree with SunlampVexesEel - it is all relative to the performance of the cohort in any given year, so if there are a lot of strong candidates, the ''cut-off' mark will automatically be higher than if the cohort was weaker overall. The key really is to aim as high as possible if you want to be sure (if one can ever be sure) of the outcome.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mjuly

Post by mjuly »

I guesstimate that my son got 85% to secure his place for Tiffin.Word on the street is that 50 boys got 100% in The Maths paper for Wilsons.I know OP has a daughter but I hope this give you an idea of pass marks.I suspect the standard for girls is higher but I have no evidence to back this up, just an observation from DS state primary as more boys than girls got offers from superselective grammars.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Have a look at some of the Sutton mocks data, if you can get hold of it. The papers (A&B) usually have a different level of difficulty, but you can see what the passmarks would be to be in the top third or so who pass.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

That is correct about the maths at Wilson's.At a meeting we attended about setting in maths we were told the top 50 boys in my sons year got 100% in maths in the entrance test. The teacher chairing the meeting then went on to say that there was only a small difference between those boys and the rest getting places ( in other words don't worry if your son is in the bottom set the difference between the sets is marginal).
As others have said its about getting a mark in the SET test in the top third and then in the top third roughly again in the second part.
The Sutton Grammar mocks gave really useful information about where we were in the cohort. It more or less carried through to the real thing for most children we knew.
Wishing you the best of luck.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Summary of last year's Sutton Grammar mock for those who might find it useful:

Paper A Boys:

No. of boys: 719
Top 30%: 216 boys
Standardised scores:
Top: 262
Bottom: 114
Average: 200
Boy no. 216 by rank order: 217

Raw scores:
Maths:
Top: 100%
Average: 70%
English:
Top: 84%
Average: 55%

Boy no. 216 raw scores:
Maths: 72%
English: 67%

Paper A Girls:
No. of girls: 549
Top 30%: 167 girls
Standardised scores:
Top: 255
Bottom: 117
Girl no. 167 by rank order: 216

Raw scores:
Maths:
Top: 98%
Average: 68%
English:
Top: 85%
Average: 56%

Girl no. 167 raw scores:
Maths: 82%
English: 59%
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Sutton Grammar Mock 2015 - results cont.

Paper B Boys:
No. of boys: 858
Top 30%: 258 boys
Standardised scores:
Top: 265
Bottom: 90
Boy no. 258 by rank order: 217

Raw scores:
Maths:
Average: 70%
English:
Top: 92%
Average: 64%

Boy no. 258 raw scores:
Maths: 73%
English: 75%

Paper B Girls:
No. of girls: 686
Top 30%: 206 girls
Standardised scores:
Top: 265
Bottom: 96
Average: 199
Girl no. 206 by rank order: 215

Raw scores:
Maths:
Average: 68%
English:
Top: 93%
Average: 65%

Girl no. 206 raw scores:
Maths: 82%
English: 65%
mjuly

Post by mjuly »

I do not have children taking part this year but well done PD.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Great data.

Back to Wilsons. If 50 boys are getting 100% in the Maths then they need to change the test. Hopefully they will make it harder this year. At DAO this year nobody got 100% in any of the papers and at QE a very Maths centric school only 3 boys got 100% in Maths. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now