Plan B

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OldTrout

Plan B

Post by OldTrout »

Dear all:

As we parents gnaw our finger nails to nubs awaiting March 1st and knowing that for many March 1st will bring more waiting or even disappointment... I thought it might help to direct you to this discussion from this time two years ago:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=36289

I found this discussion helpful as I adjusted to the fact our grammar school dreams for little fish (2013 11+ for 2014 entry) had floundered.

I know many of you are desperate to know these results but genuinely enjoy this time when everything is possible, when you and your child are a bit nervous but hopeful....

and please

whatever the outcome

give your child a big hug and praise them for their effort, for working hard, for trying their best, for taking the risk....

wishing all your little ones all the very best wherever they go on to for secondary....
PurpleDuck

Re: Plan B

Post by PurpleDuck »

+1. That's a lovely post, OldTrout. :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I know this is not an option for many people, but you might also want to consider home education as an alternative Plan B. We are finding ourselves unexpectedly home educating for years 5 and 6 and it's been a bit of a revelation. There are over 1000 members on the West Midlands home educators Facebook page, so you're definitely not on your own. There are so many great workshops and trips arranged, lots of amazing online curriculum possibilities, there are even online schools at a fraction of the cost of a private education. We're still aiming for grammar as plan A but I now feel more relaxed knowing that home ed is there as a fallback. You can go at whatever pace you like, so they won't need to fall behind their grammar peers, if that's what concerns you. I know of a family who are home educating their eldest because they weren't happy with the sink school she was allocated. It's going so well they're now considering pulling their younger three out of school.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Our friends went down this route and the transformation in the child's progress was utterly astonishing. From not being able to speak to being able to have mature conversations.

So I would see that as an option. I understand hat the support network is amazing here in the West Mids

Regular meets up and the like

PP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now