Help! Feeling overwhelmed for sept 2016 test!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mayfair321

Help! Feeling overwhelmed for sept 2016 test!

Post by Mayfair321 »

Hi
I am feeling rather stressed and overwhelmed at the prospect of my DD taking the Bexley and Kent tests this September. She is a bright girl who has always been in the top sets although she does struggle slightly with Maths. She has been seeing a tutor once a week since year 4, but only began 11+ work last September. The tutor is always telling me how well she is doing and how she could get into the top 180 but I cannot see that happening at all as she is very slow when doing any work at home. We have only done limited amounts of work at home as despite her wanting to go to a grammar school, she is very reluctant to do the work and it has caused many an argument between us. I found out this week that her friend has been doing 1.5 hours of work every day after school and 2-3 hours a day at weekends. I am now panicking as we have only been doing about 1.5 hours a week (although I plan to increase that from now on). My DD is an August baby so will only just have turned 10 when she takes the tests.
As I have two other younger children (including a very whiney 4 year old!) I find it very difficult to find the time needed to help my DD. I passed the 11+ 30 odd years ago but even I find some of the work quite challenging! As she will be doing the Bexley and Kent tests I am unsure what I should be focusing on, which books I should buy, how much work we should be doing. Do I need to buy every book and test paper going??? Help! I am even wondering if it is worse the stress! The only trouble is we are not in the catchment for any of the better local comps :roll:
I would be grateful for any help or advice! Thank you!
scary mum

Re: Help! Feeling overwhelmed for sept 2016 test!

Post by scary mum »

I know nothing about your area, but I would say "stop panicking" and "don't believe everything you hear about how much work other children are doing". If they really need to do that much one would question whether they should be sitting the 11 plus. I'm sure someone from your area will be along to offer some advice soon. Don't get too swept up in the madness.
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I was in your position this time last year. In the end DD sailed through all three tests (as well as Bexley and Kent she also sat Newstead).
You don't have to live in Bexley or get a top 180 score to get into a Bexley school. All Bexley schools also go on distance. Townley came out 8.1 miles last year for example. They have buses from Orpington, Petts Wood and Beckenham.

Passing Kent really isn't too difficult, but distance may be an issue unless you are close to Wilmington which has traditionally taken a lot of girls from outside of the Kent parishes, otherwise you need a high score to get an OOC place at the likes of Dartford or Tonbridge. For Kent you need to get less than 50% right on the maths to pass for example. 12/25 for someone aged 11 and 10/25 for someone aged 10 and 1 month. Do think about speed though for Kent. You can build this up using things like the Letts ten minute tests. However having seen how tight the time was I would think in hindsight doing those tests in even less time than ten minutes would be a good guide.

Bexley favours good vocabulary so encourage reading and questioning of words. Play games where you ask DD to do synonyms or antonyms or words.

DD sat a couple of mock tests which really helped us focus on areas that she needed to work on. She didn't have a tutor either except for a few weeks so that gives you an idea of what can be done. The mocks were also helpful for exam technique, even basic things like being in a hall with lots of children, timing and juggling papers.

DD did an hour a week from January of Y5 and then half an hour a day during the summer holidays prior to the tests which consisted of ten minutes working on areas we'd identified she need to focus. Then two ten minute tests which then fed into the identifying areas to work on. She also read lots and lots and came to us asking about any words she didn't know. She also did 'on the road maths' so working out speed, time to destination, and cost of fuel etc which didn't seem like testing to her but was just another keeping the brain agile and open to all sorts of maths type problems. We also paid attention for the first time to her spelling which she usually didn't have to work on but we ramped that up a bit more. If you search this site there are some good vocab lists.

Good luck and don't panic.
Last edited by PettswoodFiona on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Relax take a step back if you are feeling stressed how is your daughter feeling ?
This is the link in the section headed preparation on this forum.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... -in-year-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read some other posts and other sections on the forum the information is there to assist you.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What evidence is your tutor giving you that she is doing well? Some tutors become good news bears at this time and tell parents who they think they want to hear.

I suggest you get some idea where your dd sits in her cohort. I would sign up for the ST Olaves mock tests and also go on the waiting list for a Sutton Mock slot.

I would have a calm conversation with her about the connection between preparation and a place. Little and often will really help. DG
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will take a look at the suggested link Quasimodo.

I really don't want to impart my stress onto my daughter - I wouldn't be stressed if she took more interest in doing the prep!!

Daogroupie - Her tutor has a very relaxed attitude but I don't want to rely completely on what she says and be too complacent, although all the children she taught last year did pass. I know a lot of children who go to other tutors and they are being given 4-5 times the amount of homework than my DD gets from her tutor. I like the fact that the tutor is relaxed though as long as she gets the results! I will look into those mock tests.

PettswoodFiona - we are also in Petts Wood! The amount of work your DD did sounds perfect to me - enough but not too much and I hope this will be enough for my DD. Although she attends a state school so she is possibly behind those at public schools and perhaps needs to do more work to catch up. Where did your daughter do her mock tests?

Thanks again. I will take a deep breath and try to relax!!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi Mayfair I will PM you the details of the Mock tests. They are held in halls next to Orpington Station so quite convenient.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Although she attends a state school so she is possibly behind those at public schools.

Don't compare yourself to the preps academically. There are plenty enough less able kids in them. The parents are paying much more for confidence building, high expectations and social networking.

If your kid is top set even in a poor state primary they will often be better than many prep school kids. Mine go to a primary in Sandwell that has only just turned the corner, and we have been able to get up into the echelons, despite really low confidence anti learning behaviours from many kids. Sandwell is one of the worst nationally for a reason/s.

Do the bond placement tests as soon as possible, and encouraging reading as much as possible.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

For bexley we used our local tuition centre mock tests...12 pounds per paper...a real bargin. They were pretty accurate to the real thing for us last year.
My advice is ask your local centre to see if they run them...
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

Thanks petitpois and dwisdom x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now