Bancrofts or City of London for Boys?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2016Entry

Bancrofts or City of London for Boys?

Post by 2016Entry »

Excited to have an offer from Bancrofts with a full scholarship plus bursary for rest of fees which if didn't get 100% fees paid then it was a no go for us with any of the indies... Bancrofts is approx 1 mile from our home however, during the open days my "gut" was swinging towards City of London for boys as it seemed to have so many clubs and it's location gave it opportunities/access that Bancroft doesn't have. For City we have a reserved sponsored award place so we may not get a place as yet and they won't be able to let us know until after 3rd March whereas Bancrofts need a decision by 10am on 7th March... i need to let City know if i want a place if it becomes available. I am now really confused what to do?
I have made a list of pros and cons just to help me see if i sway one way or another... from the research i have done and gathered on GCSE & A-Level results over past 2 years, there doesn't seem to be much in it between them. My concern and shock was to find out last night in my searches to find a brand new head will be starting at Bancrofts in Sept and my son was interviewed by the Head (neither of us realised) as she put a personalised note at bottom of his offer letter so it's such a shame she'll be leaving. The Head at City has been there only a year and my son had a nice long chat with her (again he didn't know until she went to go) in the playground on exam day. My son is a keen Fencer and his club are based at Bancrofts hall in the evenings so I am glad to see both school do Fencing although as a minor sport. It would take him 30 minutes on the tube to St Paul's on Central line but as money is tight I will have to find the travel costs of £1000pa. My concern with City is his social life - would he have much of one and if so, will i end up being his taxi driver? So many factors to consider so welcome any thoughts, opinions and especially those whose children already attend City and Bancrofts.
OldBean

Re: Bancrofts or City of London for Boys?

Post by OldBean »

As you have 100% of fees offered and live so near (and tube costs are going to stretch you) then Bancrofts would be a no brainier for me. They have lots going on extra curricular wise and results are excellent, very similar. Don't underestimate the stress of a longish tube journey (as someone who has done a similar journey for 25 years the central line often lets you down and alternatives to getting back are complex and few- I would feel worried about a young 11 year old navigating it when it goes down). Living near to a school will mean friends are local, and you will be able to go with him to evening and weekend events without needing to pay travel and the hassle of getting there and back. Well done to your son!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

DS started at City this year. I know nothing about your other school as we are in west London. The school is brilliant but the commute is long and tiring (despite being straight forward)even when it goes well. He was nearly in tears one morning because of severe delays and he had to figure out alternate ways that we didn't practice on the district and circle lines. Now he knows he can do it and this is building resilience but it was quite stressful for him. His friends are miles away, they communicate on whatsapp for homework and meet by Skype on virtual worlds at weekend. On the plus side pastoral care is second to none, the school went out of its way for the induction and settling in, he loves the football and most of his lessons, his friends seem like a really nice bunch, totally diverse in terms of ethnicity and means, and there isn't any week end fixtures except some cricket matches in the summer term. In a couple of years he will be more confident to go and meet his friends in the real world at week end (I hope!) and he should be totally confident and prepared for real life; this being said I would go for your local school :)
Oh, tube is about £20 every 3 weeks, so more like £300 per year than £1000
Last edited by Bazelle on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I know boys at City who have no local friends from school and the commute is a pain with after school activities etc. if your DS is happy with Bancrofts I'd choose local every time.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I should add that City gives a list of pupils addresses and contact no of parents early in the summer so you can meet up and organise for the kids to travel together. Most were from North and East London, and unluckily for us very few from West London that year and they were all on the other branch of the central line
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

I would definitely go local and go with Bancroft, especially considering that you have no fees to pay. Did City tell you what the likelihood of a place would be? I don't imagine they go to their reserve list very often (we are also on it).
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

I have a DS at each of CLSB and Bancrofts. I can tell you that whilst they are both great, you will not be disappointed choosing Bancroft over CLSB. Feel free to PM me for more details.
2016Entry

Post by 2016Entry »

MCLC wrote:I would definitely go local and go with Bancroft, especially considering that you have no fees to pay. Did City tell you what the likelihood of a place would be? I don't imagine they go to their reserve list very often (we are also on it).
MCLC is your DS on the reserve list for a "sponsored award"? I know this to be a different list to the fee paying places and the register at CLSB has confirmed she has only a couple of boys on it, that is probably due to there only being approx 5 sponsored award places.

CPM1771 Thank you for your offer to PM you - I have done so, and appreciate your insight on both schools.
2016Entry

Post by 2016Entry »

Just want to say thank you to everyone here that give me feed back but especially to CPM1771 as you put so much into your reply to me in the PM - it was a massive help to have your insight and consequently we have returned the acceptance offer to Bancroft's before waiting to hear what will happen with CLSB. It is a relief to have made the decision ourselves and to know now where he is going. Thank you
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Well done. I think you have made the right decision.

C S Lewis (author of the Narnia series) said " The very best house you can live in is the one that is close to your friends."

I think that is also generally true of a school.

When you are facing a choice, the one closer to home wins for me every time. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now