Impact on Trafford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Impact on Trafford

Post by Petitpois »

Any one with views??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35633304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially if news is not good next week?
enema

Re: Impact on Trafford

Post by enema »

Presumably may increase applications to Trafford's grammars and general indies? I read this report to be more about Manchester's than Greater Manchester's schools. Manchester's schools have a new admissions process this year of equally prioritising out of LA applications as they were found to be illegally applying the admissions code by prioritising children at Mcr primaries above others. I dont know how this will affect application numbers and admission distances but popular schools like Parrs Wood and Chorlton High may be impacted as they are close to LA boundaries. Tuesday will reveal more.

Now the bad press can also be thrown into the mix.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

What are deprived boroughs in London doing right that Manchester cannot replicate?
How can a city with one of the best traditional university in the world be doing so badly?

I think some heads need to roll.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Dont see why it would impact on Trafford. The start of a good education begins at home, sadly not all parents feel thay way, in more deprived areas there are parents who see education as the way forward but there are probably many that dont really care impacting on the overall performance of the schools in a particular area. The schools are the scapegoat and the goverment should look at the bigger picture. There are some amazing teachers working in inner city schools but the finger always gets pointed at them, it must be quite sole destroying for them when they read such articles.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

We talking about one of the most innovative cities in history( where Rutherford split the atom and Bohr developed the quantum world , the first programmable computer makes the London Colleges look as mere amateurs , most students at Man Uni come from outside the NW, It has 9 Nobel Laureates on its staff role and has massive investment e.g centre of graphene research centre.

And we cannot educate our young - a disgrace!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Garden Pea told me tonight that a boy in year 6 sent my DD a photo of himself to her Iphone today. I waited in trepidation at what was to come, sort of not sure what to expect, but kind of half expecting what would follow. I was taken aback with the unexpected really.

The said boy calls himself "gangstabadboy" I have changed it to protect his identity (but you get my drift). Any how, the picture was of him lying on the floor with £3,500 in £50 notes, arranged around himself and little bit like 50 cent has been doing of late.

The kid is not yet 11, and his parents have given him access to that sort of money and are condoning that sort of self image and identity for him. That is the mind set of a lot of parents.

He is a bright lad, brighter than some you might come across in some indies or parts of Hale, let's say, but the culture is just not geared up around education. White working class lads are falling massively behind loads of other groups and girls in particular (in education outcome terms if not accumulation of £50 notes), and you have to question the mindset and mentality of the parents I agree, not just blame the teachers.

Just need to deliberately lose that iphone now!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm not sure who the (local to the 'northern powerhouse') guy was who was being interviewed on Radio 5 earlier, but his answer to everything regarding the poor performance generally of pupils - e.g. The figure of two-thirds of pupils in Knowsley failing to achieve five GCSEs at A* - C including English and Maths - was that due to government demands, teachers in the north were forced to teach to the national curriculum, when they should be free to teach what local employers require. I suppose there may be the odd employer around who spends his days moaning that all he needs is a constant stream of kids with a distinction in pit pony management, but I'm afraid the I was left yelling at the radio that almost certainly what local employers 'oop north' want is what employers everywhere in the country want, namely a workforce that can read and speak English well and are numerate (ability to get out of bed in time for work on a regular basis a bonus :roll: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Last edited by Mandy21 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Petitpois, given one of the main reasons why nowhere in the normal course of events will accept £50 notes, it is possible that a fair proportion of them were printed somewhere other than the official suppliers. You never know, it may indicate an aptitude for DT :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
enema

Post by enema »

HomeBargains do pocket tissues with a £50 note print. Just saying.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now