Further Maths A Level - M2 resources?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twinkle

Further Maths A Level - M2 resources?

Post by Twinkle »

DS in Y12 is doing OCR maths and further maths A Levels. He is finding mechanics and in particular the M2 module very tricky. He has just done badly in an internal end of module ( M2) test despite thinking he had revised hard and was on top of things. He is taking M2 this summer so we need to work out how to sort things out asap.

A couple of questions:

I have been given contact details for a third year University student who is studying Maths at a well respected University who would be prepared to tutor DS. Good references. How important is it that he himself did OCR Further Maths? Is there much difference between the different boards in terms of content / technique?

Secondly can anyone ( Guest55? ) recommend any online resources? A quick google threw up http://www.furthermaths.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which contains OCR revision videos. Does anyone know whether they are any good?

Any other suggestions?

Meanwhile DS is working through M1 papers to make sure he is secure on that and is trying to work out what in particular he is struggling with in M2 which is a good start.

Thanks!
Guest55

Re: Further Maths A Level - M2 resources?

Post by Guest55 »

I enjoy teaching mechanics probably the most of the A level modules so am happy to help. If he can work out what the issues are then I can help with more specific advice but for starters:

* draw BIG diagrams using a ruler for straight liines

* mark forces clearly

* set out what you are doing ie state 'resolving horizontally', 'taking moments about A', etc

* note 'trigger' words, such as, inextensible and know what they imply

The FMSP resources are good and used by many schools - also look here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revi ... cation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of the student - have a 'trial' lesson before committing yourself - just because someone is good at maths does not mean they can teach it. Yes - there are differences between boards and it is better of the tutor has done further maths as some of the material [and ways of tackling it] are different at uni.

Download the specification from the OCR website - there are loads of past papers.

Good luck - there is time to sort this.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Thank you Guest55 - I was hoping that you might come to my rescue. Very helpful and reassuring. I will show DS your post. And thank you for your offer to help with more specific advice.

I think your comment about how some of the material and ways of tackling the problem at Uni are different may explain why DS is having difficulty taking help from my DH ( who is very good at Maths - but I suspect approaches things in a different way to DS and just confuses him)

Twinkle
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

My son finds Bostock and Chandler Applied Maths books useful-a bit dated but I used in the early 80's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ooks%2C146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have sneaky suspicion that A level Maths/FM students are going to have shock this summer, questions will be less structured with less scaffolding in preparation for full linear exams(although the UMS standardisation process will equalise the grades)

I have warned my son there will be candidates in shock this summer.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Just wanted to add, look carefully at the examining board specification/syllabus and pick questions/examples relevant to the board.

Unless your DC is trying for STEP, CSAT or MAT, Oxbridge exams then do all the chapters-practice, practice and more practice gives you a fighting chance - STEP is crazy and the most difficult pre-university exams I have ever seen!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now