Question to Patricia

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Question to Patricia

Post by Guest »

Dear Patricia (VR Guru)
I am using the books you have suggested for VR - we currently on book 2 of IPS daily questions and AFN paper 2 has been completed. Could please kindly tell me how often should we repeat a paper ? Should it be over a certain percentage ? My son got 87/100 for AFN paper 1 and 93/100 for paper 2.

Many Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

I do not tend to repeat tests, there is enough on the market that resemble the real thing [ Bucks]

As time is now getting on I would be tempted to only use AFN as part of weekly practice not as a test. Its probably a good idea to get onto tests that are similar in format.

Susan Daughtrey, Bright Sparks...4 tests

Nfer 4 tests [ must practice HIKNOS questions along side these tests]

121 in Bucks roughly equates to 86%. I prefer my children to gaining 90%

Patricia

Many Thanks to Patricia

Post by Guest »

Many thanks Patricia

For all your advice and help.

Regards
guest101

H, I, K, N, O and S

Post by guest101 »

To Patrica,
Could you please tell me what H, I, K, N, O and S questions are.

Many Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear guest 101

HIKNOS are 6 question types as identified by a publisher called IPS. They are used by NFER for tests in Bucks and Wirrall [ and possibly other LEAs/schools]

These questions although used by NFER for the real tests, are NOT found in the NFER tests which can be bought n the shops [ and this website]

The only publishers that use questions identical to shop bought NFER plus HIKNOS are:

IPS, AFN, Susan Daughtrey- Bright sparks [ not books 1-7] and The tutors.

I am of course only referring to verbal reasoning, multiple choice.

Hope this clarifies.

Patricia
Laura

verbal reasoning question types

Post by Laura »

I am completely confused as to the number of question types used in verbal reasoning papers. My daughter will be sitting the Tiffin exam later this year. From browsing this website I thought they used either 15 or 21 question types, I have also downloaded the CD which has 21 question types. However my daughter has the Susan Daughtrey practice book which has 35 VR question types. There is no mention of 35 question types on this website. It's all so confusing. I don't really want her spending time on questions that aren't relevant. Kingston council aren't very forthcoming when it comes to any question re Tiffin, they won't even tell me how many questions there will be in the exam. Anagrams is an example of questions not on the CD but they have been on past Tiffin papers (though that is not confirmed, it's just be talking to girls who have taken the exam in the past). Please help.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Laura

If the test is multiple choice and the questions are set by NFER then the types are more than likely to be 15 or 21, with no anagrams. Cant have anagrams on a multiple choice because the answer would be given away!

If the test is standard form, then more than likely it will/can include other types of questions including anagrams, see the link under Lincs, thread called question types for Lincs. They use Nfer standard form which include number position codes and word grids, not found in the 21 types, but can be found in the Susan Daughtrey books

My only advice on anagrams is to quickly rearrange the letters either backwards or in a circle.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Laura

The Susan Daughtrey books you have are the "Books 1-7" Patricia refers to above as those NOT to buy! They contain many question types that are irrelevant in most areas.

I always look forward to Patricia's response on this particular question - light blue touchpaper and stand well back! :lol:

I am sure that, as you have already bought the books, she or someone else will tell you which question types are not applicable to Tiffin so that your daughter doesn't waste her time but you can still use them for practice.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Patricia - I was delayed finishing the post by a phone call. You are tame today!...

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally Anne

I am only against Susan Daughtrey Books !-7 if the authority are using Nfer MULTIPLE CHOICE

If STANDARD form is being used then Susan .Daughtrey can be used to identify types NOT used in MULTIPLE CHOICE.

Don't worry I will STILL pounce on anyone advocating Susan .Daughtrey [ Books 1-7] for the 21 types Nfer MULTIPLE CHOICE

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now