Setting at Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Setting at Grammar School

Post by Guest »

Just wondered if anyone can help. I vaguly remember reading something about this but cant find it anywhere so here goes..... How do they 'set' the class's at Grammar school?After induction day my son came home and said how 'clever' everyone was and were better than him - think he's a bit worried as he got through on appeal. He thinks as he got a low 11+ mark they will think he's one of the 'lucky' ones to be there. He's just got 3 level 5's in recent SATS and im trying hard to reassure him. All they said was they want 'mixed' ability forms.!! Thanks in Advance.

Claire
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Claire

You must reassure your son that he will not be classed as 'lucky to be there' he is there on merit as decided by an appeal panel.

Most grammars [ Bucks] use mixed ability classes in the beginning, based on SAT scores and 11 plus results.

After a time CATs MIDYIS and internal end of year exams can be taken into consideration for targets/setting.

The following may be of some help.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/cabinet_papers/overv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... item7a.pdf

Tell your son that many children that get through on appeal end up achieving to a much higher level. There will also be a number of children who achieved the acquired score for the 11 plus , but DID not score straight 5s in their SATS

Patricia

Post by Guest »

:) Patricia, Thank you so much for your kind words - it made me feel a whole lot better - lets hope i can do the same for my son.Thank you for the link as well which also clarifies some points. Although this has been said time and time again, what a strange system we have!!!

Claire