Allocation Day

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PurpleDog

Allocation Day

Post by PurpleDog »

I was really hoping not to be here, but we have just had our daughter's allocation and we have not been allocated a grammar school, but instead allocated a school which we have no reasonable way to get our daughter to.

Our elder daughter is already at TGS but they have no sibling rule and our younger daughter didn't score highly enough.

We are hopeful of a place from the waiting list but any advice on appeals would be gratefully received.

We are based in East Sussex and were hoping for Weald of Kent - I know girls who have got in from round here in previous years.

Many thanks!
mad?

Re: Allocation Day

Post by mad? »

Sorry to hear your news PurpleDog.

Looking at the posts on this link is a good place to start

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

once you have done that I am sure you will have more specific questions which hopefully someone will be able to help you with.

Good luck
mad?
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Where in East Sussex are you? I know someone from Wadhurst who got a place at Weald. I would ring the school in the morning and see if they can let you know where you are on the waiting list. Places move around so much that you may well get in on second allocation, it's just a question of holding your nerve.
isoflome

Post by isoflome »

Hi Purpledog,
Sorry to hear your situation, we were in a similiar position before.
Phone the admissions lady at WoK, she is very helpful and will tell you where you are on the waiting list and in the relevant over-subscription category. She will also know how much the waiting list moved by last year. I think there are more places this year, so that should help you.
I would submit the appeal form as the deadline is towards the end of March, hopefully you will get a place off the waiting list before the appeal hearings.
Fingers crossed for you.
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

We are in the same situation as you PurpleDog. We were hoping for Weald but didn't get it and we didn't get a high enough score for TOGS.

I have just spoken to the very helpful admissions lady at Weald and if you haven't done so yet I urge you to do so. She did tell me that they went to a distance of 11.3 miles but I believe that was still a TN postcode (oversubscription category 5b). We don't have a TN postcode so are in an oversubscription category 5c although previously the catchment has stretched further than where we live.

We had hoped that with two extra classes we might get a place but it seems the school is still oversubscribed despite the increased intake.

Like you, I think we will go to appeal too (not for the first time). I'm keeping fingers crossed for the re-allocation at the end of April but just wish we didn't have to get all the (hopefully not required) appeal paperwork together before this date.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Thanks so much for your comments, we are 14 miles from the school so still a little way to go for us. I have exchanged emails with the admissions lady at Weald but will give her a ring next week I think.

Good Luck to all of you in the same position.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

twellsmum wrote:Where in East Sussex are you? I know someone from Wadhurst who got a place at Weald. I would ring the school in the morning and see if they can let you know where you are on the waiting list. Places move around so much that you may well get in on second allocation, it's just a question of holding your nerve.
We are in Burwash Common which doesn't seem far from Wadhurst but I think it is an extra 5 miles by straight line distance.

We have already started to gather evidence for our appeal but really hope it doesn't come to that!!
PurpleDog

Kent appeal - oversubscription

Post by PurpleDog »

We are appealing for Weald of Kent Grammar School as we fall outside the cut-off distance. DD passed 11+.

I have read all the information which was fantastic but still have a few questions as follows:

1. As DD passed 11+ is there any point in providing additional academic evidence or is this sufficient in itself?

2. Could the fact that DD is currently at a private school count against us?

3. Would it be useful to produce an Ed Psych report as evidence ? It specifically states that she would do well against a grammar school.

Thanks for your help.
Sally-Anne

Re: Kent appeal - oversubscription

Post by Sally-Anne »

PurpleDog wrote:1. As DD passed 11+ is there any point in providing additional academic evidence or is this sufficient in itself?
Assuming that WOK is a flat pass mark, no, you don't need to provide further academic evidence. Your appeal is purely against oversubscription.
2. Could the fact that DD is currently at a private school count against us?
Neither Etienne nor I have ever believed that this is an issue at appeals. Admittedly, we hail from Bucks where there is a definite pattern of children attending prep schools in the hope of accessing the grammar system more readily at 11+, but I doubt Kent is very different from that.
3. Would it be useful to produce an Ed Psych report as evidence ? It specifically states that she would do well against a grammar school.
No - as above. Your appeal is against O/S. However, if the EP report suggests the existence of SEN in any form, and WOK could be the best school to help her deal with those issues, that would be very pertinent indeed.
Sally-Anne

Re: Kent appeal - oversubscription

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've just noticed that you have another thread on Appeals. I will merge the two, and please stick to this thread from now on so all your information is in one place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now