Have I got this right???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hari

Have I got this right???

Post by hari »

Just before we completed our preference forms all the parents in year six had to have a meeting with the Head to discuss'suitability' of choices. So basically whether your kid was suitable or not for grammar.
During the interview I asked what would happen if my dd was overcome with nerves and underperformed( I'm sure this is a common question) and he said...We(the headteachers) get the results in Jan and if there are any discrepancies IE if a child has bombed we use this score ( my dd s was 129) to make a case and meet up with the heads of the school.
So my question is (eventually...!) If this worse case scenario has happened do we get to know or is this just the same as an appeal or do you still just get the letter on mar 4th with the allocation?
Is the 129 score like an IQ thing?
I can't believe how this has taken over my life I used to laugh at parents like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

Yes it's a nightmare isn't it!

From what I have picked up from this forum, it seems that the headteacher will appeal on behalf of any children thought to have underperformed, at some point between when the primary school receives the marks (Jan?) and nowish. On the letter you get in March, it would give the actual (standardised) score and say whether there had been an appeal, and if there had, whether it was successful. Not sure of the wording.
wirral_wombat

Independent Assessment Board

Post by wirral_wombat »

The "appeal" process you refer to which happens before the results come out in March is called the Independent Assessment Board.
The letter you get will be something like this (the numbers are my son's scores from his 2003 letter)

STANDARD SCORE TEST1 129

STANDARD SCORE TEST2 122

AGGREGATE VERBAL REASONING TEST SCORE 251

CUT OFF POINT FOR GRAMMAR SCHOOL 236

REFERRAL TO INDEPENDENT ASSESSMENT BOARD NO

OUTCOME OF REFERRAL - NOT APPLICABLE

If your child got a total of less than 236 but was referred to the Board by your Headteacher the referral line would say "YES" and the outcome would let you know whether this was successful - if it was then your child would be deemed to have "passed" even though they scored less than the magic 236.

I hope this helps. I haven't posted on here for ages - my twins are now preparing for GCSEs so it's a long time since we went through all this but I remember it all so well.

Good luck to you all.
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

What if you have done Upton Hall as well as 11+? Does that result come on a separate piece of paper?
hari

Post by hari »

thanks everyone .....especially wombat ,i feel sick knowing EXACTLY what the letter will look like though!
wirral numbers -my daughter has done upton as well and i think it is exactly ,that you get a separate piece of paper. my dd seems, according to her ,to have 'bombed' the 1st paper of 11+ and was in floods of tears but our 1st choice is upton anyway so as long as she passes that it doesn't matter about the 11+.Just as the time is drawing near all horrible thoughts are coming to the fore..just want to be prepared for every eventuality.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

What if you have done Upton Hall as well as 11+? Does that result come on a separate piece of paper?
Hi Wirralnumbers,

Upton Hall results come in a letter straight from Mrs. Young at Upton and gives the scores in that letter. So you get two separate letters on the 4th (one from LEA for 11+ and one from Upton).

Good Luck, hope this helps.

Scatshouse.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now