Difference in score between GL and CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ooc

Difference in score between GL and CEM

Post by ooc »

My DS who took GL (in AGSB) and CEM (in Sale) scored 30(ish) marks higher in GL than CEM. Difference may not (fully) point at hardness, as he is good in Maths (not so good at comprehension skills). Level of difficulty (according to him) CEM > MGS > GL

Just to bring it to the notice of people who are preparing for 2017 entry. For CEM, you may need to aim at a score above 350 in the past papers.
Mandy21

Re: Difference in score between GL and CEM

Post by Mandy21 »

Surely it depends on the boy though? I think there has been much discussion about the format in that there is very little (pure) English and comprehension on the GL format. So for maths oriented / logical boys GL is "easier". CEM is much more heavily oriented towards comprehension and language, so if that is your skill set, that will surely be easier.

For what it's worth its been a mixed bag at my DS' school - some boys scoring higher in Sale (CEM), some higher in AGSB (GL).
bookaddict

Post by bookaddict »

I think everyone will agree whether CEM or GL these tests are hard and demanding. English or Maths based, speed is essential.
My DC sat GL and CEM papers - both scored above 334 with a higher CEM score.
ooc

Post by ooc »

As all the kids (whoever took tests) in my DS's school scored higher in AGSB (and Urmston) compared to Sale, I felt CEM might have been tougher. Also the fact that AGGS offer exceeded the catchment area, gave an added impression. I was not aware of people scoring more in CEM compared to GL.
I have not read all the threads. So I was not aware, this has already been discussed. :(
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

ooc wrote:My DS who took GL (in AGSB) and CEM (in Sale) scored 30(ish) marks higher in GL than CEM. Difference may not (fully) point at hardness, as he is good in Maths (not so good at comprehension skills). Level of difficulty (according to him) CEM > MGS > GL

Just to bring it to the notice of people who are preparing for 2017 entry. For CEM, you may need to aim at a score above 350 in the past papers.
I think it is a waste of time quantatively comparing the two. Better to compare raw scores and standardised scores between two CEM tests administered under the format using the same age standardisation and weightings.

Good mathematicians doing CEM in one area with a higher emphasis on vocab will score lower other things equal.

MGS tests qualitative aspects such as ability to infer and show approach. e.g CEM might say

Q1 light is nearest in meaning to

a) dark ) transparent c) camper d) colour e) bright

whereas MGS might ask you to describe the effect turning a floodlight on.

Crude example, but highlights the lack of comparison. Tons of overlap, but you must compare like with like
PP