Greenshaw High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bigmomma

Greenshaw High School

Post by bigmomma »

Hi all,

My daughter got an offer at Greenshaw which was further down the list on our CAF, can anyone give an insight into whether Greenshaw is a good school as i cant seem to find much about it online. However, I am still going to appeal for the Grammars in the meanwhile.

Thanks
Catlady

Re: Greenshaw High School

Post by Catlady »

Hi bigmomma
Greenshaw is partially selective and if your daughter goes there she will be in the selective stream. The school has fantastic facilities and from what friends tell me, the school does very well fir its pupils. Has she passed any of the Grammar schools in Sutton/Kingston but not quite enough to get an offer? If she has, you don't need to appeal because she will already be on the waiting list for these.

Catlady
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

My info is possibly a year or two out of date, but I don't believe that the children who enter Greenshaw via the SET are streamed in anyway. This is a comprehensive school, with those admitted via the SET being in some respects offset by those lost to the grammars. Most classes are mixed ability at least in year 7.

i wouldnt expect children to travel a great distance to go there. Which other Sutton non-grammars did you list, as presumably you are comparing it with those?
bigmomma

Post by bigmomma »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, Daughter passed Wallington and we received an email from Wallington stating that she is on the waiting list today and missed the cut off mark by 12 points. So waiting on movement or possibly an appeal.

I hadn't done enough research on Greenshaw but put that on our CAF with Cheam High afterwards.
hotchoc

Post by hotchoc »

Hi,

My DD missed out on the grammars and went to Greenshaw. We have been very happy with the school. Academically she is doing very well, gaining A* in English and Maths GCSEs in Year 10 and predicted more in Y11. The teachers are very enthusiastic about their subjects and they use connections with universities in London well. She has had many opportunities and experiences with trips and mentor schemes.
mad_parent

Post by mad_parent »

I attended the open day for Greenshaw. the Head in his talk was quite clear in saying that Greenshaw is a comprehensive school. I spoke to a few teachers too who said that they do not stream the SET applicants. Everyone is assessed together.

They all confirmed that there is no "grammar stream" and that Greenshaw is not a grammar school, it is a comprehensive school.

I hope this info is useful for those thinking about Greenshaw on their CAF.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

I think everyone knows it's not a grammar school. The point is do they stream those that pass the SET?

Point is, and I think it's a valid one, if they are able to cream off applicants who've often 'just' missed the mark, why are they able to do if they aren't doing anything exceptional with them? Weird IMO.

Their pass mark was only one point below that for Nonsuch for the SET this year, so seems a bit crazy.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Believe it or not, not every parent is looking for a grammar school place. There are a number of schools which use use selective tests to allocate a minority of their places, as well as the Harris Academies which allocate their spaces in bands according to their NVR test. If you like Greenshaw school, and live outside the usual catchment then entry via the selective test can be a useful way of getting a place.

The trust running Greenshaw also runs Edenham in Croydon which also has the selective entry scheme.

Parents who are applying to numerous schools without investigating them fully might be in for a surprise though. I don't think that there is a South London equivalent of DAO for example.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ladymuck wrote:Believe it or not, not every parent is looking for a grammar school place. There are a number of schools which use use selective tests to allocate a minority of their places, as well as the Harris Academies which allocate their spaces in bands according to their NVR test. If you like Greenshaw school, and live outside the usual catchment then entry via the selective test can be a useful way of getting a place.

The trust running Greenshaw also runs Edenham in Croydon which also has the selective entry scheme.

Parents who are applying to numerous schools without them fully might be in for a surprise though. I don't think that there is a South London equivalent of DAO for example.
Please, someone come along with data to scotch this idea completely, but if Greenshaw is anything like the partially-selective school five miles away from us, just over the border into the next LA, most of those taking the 'selective' route are pupils from catchments in our LA who wouldn't get in on distance. They are not necessarily even any more academically able than all of what is left of the catchment population after some have been 'creamed off' by our grammar schools, they just did well enough to beat enough of the competition off to get one of the up to 15% selective places. And that school does do their admissions according to their admission criteria, cutting the intake off at PAN, rather than endlessly stretching it like DAO if there happen to be too many applicants in a higher but less 'desired' category.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Reading between the lines, I note that Greenshaw offer more selective places than are available under the PAN (75 offers for 60 places). I assume that there are some people who just add it to the CAF and then research it once offered on 1 March.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now