Offered Place Withdrawn

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
j41

Offered Place Withdrawn

Post by j41 »

Hi,

We find ourselves in a confused state following a withdrawal of offer of school place that was previously offered. Apparently the reason cited is this having happened in error.

It's a bit difficult to imagine we might be the only one to be nudged out - given someone must have had their fortunes turned around for this to happen!

We understand that Warwickshire County Council has the right to withdraw an offer under the Admissions Code, we simply wanted to know if we there were other parents in similar situation (or where they had been refused initially but have been offered straightaway - next day to be precise).

Not sure what we should do now...
Sally-Anne

Re: Offered Place Withdrawn

Post by Sally-Anne »

You are in a very grey area - as this old post describes: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... aw#p311464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What grounds have been cited for the withdrawal of the place?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

This is dreadful, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can offer no advice but just wanted to offer sympathy and hope that eventually it turns out in your favour.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

+1. Lots of sympathy. Did they tell you where you are now on the wait list?
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

j41 wrote:Hi,

We find ourselves in a confused state following a withdrawal of offer of school place that was previously offered. Apparently the reason cited is this having happened in error.

It's a bit difficult to imagine we might be the only one to be nudged out - given someone must have had their fortunes turned around for this to happen!

We understand that Warwickshire County Council has the right to withdraw an offer under the Admissions Code, we simply wanted to know if we there were other parents in similar situation (or where they had been refused initially but have been offered straightaway - next day to be precise).

Not sure what we should do now...
Oh, that is awful! Hope it gets sorted soon for you.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Strangely, the opposite happened to us this week. We live in Warks, and had put BV first place, and had scored more than above the AQS a to get in. Originally, through an admin error our results did not work their way through to a BV place. We automatically received our second choice, Aston. It made me think that someone at the cut off gained my son's place. Fortunately, all has been resolved, and the Warks plus coordinator has been superb and strident in her efforts to help me. It did make me think now that we have gained our rightful BV place, what has happened to the person who gained a place at the expense of my son. Will he lose his place on first round offers, and then hope to regain it during appeals.
j41

Post by j41 »

going by the letter - which we thought was written hurriedly and quoted word for word:
Unfortunately, this offer has been made in error and now has to be withdrawn. This is due to children not being offered places in the initial round of offers on 1st March who should have been given a place due to them being of a higher criteria
Now, what just doesnt make sense is - surely, they must have been doing this for long enough time to not mess things up!

Our heartbroken 11yo said the same thing - "why cant they get it right the first time around"?

Re Waiting list they simply have said
...will be placed on the waiting list

so we dont know where we stand!

while googling around to see if anyone else is talking about this I bumped into an article which found fault with the authority's admission handling which makes us even worry more!
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

I would guess your DC is at the cut off and will be next in line for a place as places are declined etc. I think there is more than a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi j41

I have sent you a PM (Private Message). You can retrieve it from the link at the top LH corner of this page.

S-A
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Mistakes have been made in both the last two years I have been watching the forum - Hatton and Solihull areas if I rember correctly. This has been sorted quickly by the LA and hasn't resulted in places being withdrawn before, to my knowledge. Do you mind sharing your home LA and the school in question?

Hopefully, as others have said, your DS/D will be high on the waiting list for the second round and a place will be offered quickly.

JD