Cloze test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Cloze test

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Hello,
Please can someone explain what the pattern might be for cloze passages ? Usually they do not give a word bank, Isn't it ? or sometimes they give dashes instead ? Also now that the results are out can someone explain what sort of questions were given last year in the paper for all 3 subjects ?
MSD

Re: Cloze test

Post by MSD »

With the new computer marking in place, the only two easiest and viable options available are:

a) Word bank
b) Multiple choice of words for each dash provided

Last year it was Word Bank with 4 or 5 small paragraphs with a word bank for each, I think.

It will be too difficult to implement missing letter one using computer marking.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I still think it is worth doing some Cloze though.

Same as NVR nets, they haven't come up on CEM, but worth doing, same way.

May be not tons, but adds a bit of variety if nothing else
PP
MSD

Post by MSD »

Agreed PP!

The point I am trying to put across is this. Let's say they provided the following missing letter word in cloze paragraph.

t_iv_a_ (trivial)

For the computer to mark this, on the answer sheet they will have to provide three columns each having 'a' to 'z' letters and that, I think, might be a bridge too far.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

MSD wrote:Agreed PP!

The point I am trying to put across is this. Let's say they provided the following missing letter word in cloze paragraph.

t_iv_a_ (trivial)

For the computer to mark this, on the answer sheet they will have to provide three columns each having 'a' to 'z' letters and that, I think, might be a bridge too far.
+1
MSD

Post by MSD »

ELEVENPLUSMOM wrote:Hello,
Also now that the results are out can someone explain what sort of questions were given last year in the paper for all 3 subjects ?
ElevenPlusMom - It's pretty much the same stuff that's been appearing for the last 5 years. English has antonyms/synonyms, multi-choice comprehension, work bank cloze paragraphs and jumbled up sentences. The first 3 elements are always the same and jumbled up sentences makes an entry every year or two. Maths for the past two years is individual questions, rather than longer problem solving type sub-questions. Personally, the content in the last two years has been simpler than previous years - you will get some stuff as simple as adding two fractions. And NVR is pretty much similar to your Bond NVR stuff - analogies, sequences etc. Nothing has appeared on 3D nets and cubes for quite a few years now.

So, overall, a very set pattern with CEM, and not many surprises pop up.
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Thanks MSD and PP
glad to know it has been made simple.....although simple may not be simple for every child :? I remember when my son took it in 2011 it was much harder.He said they had just blanks for some of the questions and it was A LOT OF LONG MATHS and harder NVR with less time to even look at some of the questions :roll:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I have a question for the Brumies good in vocabulary. How do you call the people who live in Kings Heath?
Kings Heathian??

If you prefer the same question as a close test, here we go:
K _ngs Heath _ _ _ (_)
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Yes, it does seem as though the test content has been streamlined. It does cost to develop and mark them!

I suppose the optical handwriting recognition could have been employed, but I guess it's still too unreliable or expensive for use on free handwriting.

A shame though, as the test could be much more delving.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote:I have a question for the Brumies good in vocabulary. How do you call the people who live in Kings Heath?
Kings Heathian??
:( :( Where are you , PP? Usually, you are quick as a lightning to answer! Or I may compare you to Lucky Luke, "the man who shoots faster than his shadow"... :(
I couldn't find KIngs Heathian in googgle... but I am slowly plodding my way. I found that Kings Heath residents seem to be called 'Heathens'

But I am afraid to write 'Heathens' and not to be understsood (that is for an exam; I have better to be right!). :roll: :roll: Could I write 'Kings Heathens'?? Did anyone heard the words 'Heathens' or 'Kings Heathens' before? :?