Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ray1911

Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Post by ray1911 »

Looks like the max distance for OOC was only 2.53 miles this year, compared to 5.5 last year. I think even the school is shocked at this.

I understand that the kent parishes being given priority was brought in last year, but was there any additional change this year to account for this change? The school seemed to suggest this was purely down to more children applying this year, but wondering if anybody has any other info.

We're now looking at options to appeal. I've read all of the FAQs on this already. The jist I've got from it is to try and convince the appeal panel that taking students over PAN has been done historically, and did not impact results, and therefore should be allowed this time. This combined with strong reasons as to why this school is suitable for our son. Is this going to be enough to convince a panel? Is this not the same argument every other appeal is going to use. I'm just struggling to understand how we can make a case to overcome the oversubscription criteria. Any and all advice would be welcomed please.
PurpleDog

Re: Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Post by PurpleDog »

Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument as the journey home would be 2 hours.
Anything that would make your case stand out which is particular to your circumstances would help.
Amber

Post by Amber »

PurpleDog wrote:Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument ...
Everything I have ever read on this forum about appeals suggests that this is not the way to go about it, but to focus instead on why the school you want is suitable and why your child needs to go there.

Those who know about appeals on here all say that little more than a passing reference should be made to why the selected school isn't appropriate, which can be expanded on if the panel asks you.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Amber wrote:
PurpleDog wrote:Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument ...
Everything I have ever read on this forum about appeals suggests that this is not the way to go about it, but to focus instead on why the school you want is suitable and why your child needs to go there.

Those who know about appeals on here all say that little more than a passing reference should be made to why the selected school isn't appropriate, which can be expanded on if the panel asks you.
I'm afraid that differs from the advice we have been given. We have been advised not to criticise the school we have been allocated which is totally understandable but in our case there would be significant detriment to our child by going to the school we have been allocated which is very relevant to our appeal case.

I understood that this was the whole point of the balancing stage of the appeals process to balance the prejudice to the school against the prejudice to the child of not being offered a place. I don't know how you can do this without reference to the alternative which has been offered.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

PurpleDog wrote:I understood that this was the whole point of the balancing stage of the appeals process to balance the prejudice to the school against the prejudice to the child of not being offered a place. I don't know how you can do this without reference to the alternative which has been offered.
The alternative school can of course be referenced, but it is the way it is done that is important.

E.g. 1: "Preferred School A has a strong history of supporting children with dyslexia, while Allocated School B has stated to us that they do not believe they have the facilities required to support our child." No problem with that at all.

E.g. 2: "Allocated School B is in a rough area (read: has rough kids ...), while Preferred School A is in a nicer area where our little flower will feel safer walking home." Ouch!

As a rule of thumb, you should always remember that a member of the panel might have a child or grandchild who has attended School B. Nothing you say should be capable of offending that person.
ray1911

Post by ray1911 »

What if your strongest argument for the school in question is that it is a grammar, compared to the one you've been allocated not being a grammar? I'm guessing this is the truth in the majority of appeals for grammar schools, but is it something the appeal panel will be interested in hearing?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The Head of WGSB spoke about appeals at an Open Morning we attended. He said they rapidly lose interest in those that are appealing for a place at a grammar school, whereas those who are appealing for a place at WGSB and have positive reasons for wanting this school are looked upon more favourably. Last year there were 100 appeals and 5 places offered.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The number of OOC boys getting a place at Wilmington fell sharply this year from 91 last year to only 32 this year.
ray1911

Post by ray1911 »

Muggle wrote:The number of OOC boys getting a place at Wilmington fell sharply this year from 91 last year to only 32 this year.
Where did you get this information from? We have the appeal pack now and it states that only 8 places were offered outside of the kent parishes (which I assume means OOC).

The other question I had was regarding the reasons put forward for prejudice against the school in the appeal pack, by the HT. They have spelt our DS's name incorrectly. I'm concerned what other bits of information may be incorrect - i.e. have they done a fair assessment of my DS's individual circumstances? Unsure where to go with this one - is it worth pointing it out, or raising it during the appeal?
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

My understanding is that in the case for the school it is generally a case against admitting any more children, so they won't at this stage have weighed up any specific evidence. That happens at stage 2, the individual hearings and then the panel (not the HT) will consider whether in your son's case there would be more harm to him if he is not admitted than to the school if he is admitted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now