Year 8 place at Wilson's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ladymuck

Year 8 place at Wilson's

Post by Ladymuck »

A year 8 space is available due to relocation. Boys will be tested in English, Maths and Science. You will need to contact Sutton Council to start an in year admission and then let the school know by 23 March if you want your son to take the test. As far as I can see it doesn't matter whether your son previously sat and/or passed the year 7 entrance tests.
getonwithit

Re: Year 8 place at Wilson's

Post by getonwithit »

Thanks Ladymuck.

Just to clarify, it is current year 8's that should apply?

DS at an indie, which we love, but we are struggling financially. Wilson's feels like it would be able to offer him a similar environment/opportunities.

I downloaded the form from the Sutton website. Slightly concerned that part of it has to be handed in to the current school Headmaster to complete. Do you think this could have an ill effect in the school's perception of DS?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

getonwithit wrote:Thanks Ladymuck.

Just to clarify, it is current year 8's that should apply?

DS at an indie, which we love, but we are struggling financially. Wilson's feels like it would be able to offer him a similar environment/opportunities.

I downloaded the form from the Sutton website. Slightly concerned that part of it has to be handed in to the current school Headmaster to complete. Do you think this could have an ill effect in the school's perception of DS?
If your financial struggle turns into an actual inability to pay the fees, the school may offer you assistance - or it may just regret the fact that your DS will be leaving at the end of term. Have you mentioned that you are finding the fees a bit of a struggle?

If a bursary might be forthcoming, then being asked to complete a form might prompt the school to mention this; if they are not in a position to offer help, then it is not in the school's interest to hinder your attempt to find a suitable alternative for your DS.

I would add, that the system here when the school for which you are making an in-year application is selective and your child's transfer is dependent on a future test result, the 'part 2' form isn't required until it is known that you have a place (and in practice, not usually asked for), so you don't have to tell the current school unless your DC is successful. I don't know how it goes in your area.I though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes, it is a current year 8 place.
Might be worth talking to Sutton and seeing if they need that bit filled in if you are coming from an independent school? Or perhaps even phone Wilson's directly?
getonwithit

Post by getonwithit »

Thanks for the replies. He's at a brilliant academically selective indie and is currently on a bursary (given at 11+), and has just been awarded a 13+ scholarship, we are very grateful and the school obviously like him but we are still struggling with the remaining fees. I'll ring Wilson's before proceeding. It would be awful to end up in a worse position than where we are now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now