Bit of a dip

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

S999

Bit of a dip

Post by S999 »

Hi there
My DD has always been very capable and ended Year 4 with good results, all 4As and 5Cs. She had a bad start to Year 5 and has dipped in levels, particularly English writing, which has gone down to a 4A! Her other levels are 5B and 5C. We are not quite sure why she has gone down like this - her work seems to be inconsistent.
Our intention was that she was going to apply to CLSG, SPGS etc but do you think we should review this situation or has anyone experienced a jump in Year 5 or are these levels if put on a reference mean she is doomed. We're expecting she should end the year with Level 5s for everything but at what level, we can't be sure.
I am so stressed about this, more that we need to get her confidence and ability back on track.
Thank you in advance.
mattsurf

Re: Bit of a dip

Post by mattsurf »

Your Daughter is still in year 5 and is working at the level of an average year 8 student. I suspect that she is coasting due to being so far ahead of her expected level in most subjects. Also the levels change a bit on the day that they are tested, she might have had a really good day at the end of year 4 and a slightly off day on a recent test

Any child who is at level 4A to 5 at the end of year 5 has a reasonable chance of passing 11+. Also remember that the 11+ is different to SATs, there it is more time pressure and it is supposed to be a test of academic ability rather than SATs which is more syllabus based
S999

Post by S999 »

Thank you so much, we have already been told by CLSG that 4A is too low in Year 5 - she sits the exams next January so the race is on to get her back up.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Does she have other students in her class who are working at her levels?

It is hard to keep motivated when work is easy in class and she may become over confident. I am going to pm some suggestions DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Levels aren't used any more - has the school explained how they are assessing children?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now