Full marks and MGS required score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eddas

Full marks and MGS required score

Post by Eddas »

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the highest score was for 2014 and 2015 ie, full marks?

Also, can anyone tell me what the required mark for getting a place at MGS was for this year and last year?

TIA :D
PettswoodFiona

Re: Full marks and MGS required score

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Do you mean Mayfield, Maidstone or another school? For both I believe their entrance is based on just a pass. So any score over 320 (with at least 106 in each separate paper) and the max of 420. Students are not ranked by score but by their oversubscription criteria which is on the Mayfield and the Maidstone websites and predominantly seems to be priority parishes. 320 was the pass mark this year and last year. The year before that (sept 2013 test) the paper and scoring was different so although still max score was 420 (sometimes 423 when standardised) it isn't comparable to the last two years.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think the OP may be referring to Maidstone Grammar School but not sure if it's boys or girls.

OP if you clarify which school I'm sure somebody will be able to help.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Oops sorry I mean Maidstone Grammar School (boys one) I know they admit on a higher basis than a pass. I found on their website last night it is half way between the pass mark and full marks.

I also searched for full marks which I believe is 420 now.

Sorry, I hadn't thought there'd be more than one mgs, der!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

420 won't necessarily be 'full marks' on the papers.
doodles

Post by doodles »

420 is the maximum standardised score a DC can achieve in the Kent 11+.

From kent.gov.uk
Your child's score
Your child will get three standardised scores, 1 for English, 1 for maths and 1 for reasoning.

Standardisation is a statistical process which compares your child's performance with the average performance of other children in each test. A slight adjustment is made to take into account each child's age so that the youngest are not at a disadvantage.

The score ranges for 2015 results are:

English: 69 to 138
maths: 69 to 141
reasoning: 69 to 141
420 is therefore the maximum standardised score any pupil can achieve.

Grammar school threshold
To be given a grammar school assessment, children needed to get a total score of 320 or more, with no single score lower than 106.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, agreed, but not necessarily full marks on any paper.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

A lot of people misunderstand the criteria for MGS and think that you have to gain high marks, but you don't! You only need a pass, but must live in one of the listed parishes.
This is how it works:

Boys living in one of the listed parishes and scoring halfway between the pass mark and full marks (370+) are admitted first and therefore virtually guaranteed a place. Last year that was 33 boys.
The rest of the places are for a basic pass (320+) and are based on distance from the school. The vast majority of boys admitted have a score under 370.

http://www.mgs.kent.sch.uk/assets/Uploa ... r-2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://batchgeo.com/map/27f8f238b420583 ... 0711779cb2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

frangipani that's really helpful, I am one that thought it was a higher pass! We live in one of the listed parishes so that's ok.

I have looked into the grammar's once already but the girls, the boys are all new to me! DS is a way off yet but as the secondary places got handed out last week it got me thinking!

Regarding the full marks, I was meaning the highest possible overall mark, I know about the split but I wasn't aware of the highest marks as my last experience of the test was my daughter and the score didn't matter for the girls grammars (Maidstone ones) but I had thought it did for MGS but is not as important as i'd thought given where we live which is good news.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now