Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mu81

Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Post by mu81 »

We are currently in a very big dilemma. We are located in Maidenhead and are in the catchment area of Sir Willian Borlase School (about 5.6 miles distance from this school). Our DS is currently in Yr4 and soon we'll be starting 11+ preparation for grammar schools. From our current location we have options to apply for - Reading Boys School or Slough grammar schools or Sir William Borlase in Marlow. Our first choice definitely would be Reading Boys, second SWBS and then slough schools, if DS qualifies.

We are currently in the process of buying our first house (in Maidenhead only and is almost at the last stage of exchanging contracts), which is slightly out of the catchment of SWBS (about 6.1 miles distance from this school), we recently came to know about this :(. If we choose to go for this new house, we would have very less chance of having SWBS option for our DS. Hence we are thinking whether we should back-out our new house decision?

Knowing this year's intake for SWBS was just within 3.3miles, we are wondering is it really worth backing out the decision of moving to new house? OR are we doing a big mistake by moving slightly out of catchment area of SWBS at this crucial stage of trying for a grammar school?

Anyone went through similar situation?
All advices/suggestions are most welcome and would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
M
kittymum

Re: Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Post by kittymum »

I think that's a very personal decision.

Fwiw my ds in year 8 at swbgs has OOC friends living a similar distance to that you are moving to. Even in your current catchment house you wouldn't have been offered a place in the recent round of allocations although there will obviously be movement by September.

My dd will be starting in September and there do seem to be a large number of catchment siblings going which may explain the low distance - I think it also goes in phases as to whether swbgs of the single sex schools at Handy Cross are more popular (most people are catchment for both).

Moving out f catchment (with no sibling) you would be offered by distance after catchment siblings, catchment and OOC siblings.

I would also look at what your local non grammar catchment school would be at both addresses - 11+ success is never a garuntee after all.

Other then that I guess it just comes down to how important it is to you to be in catchment for swbgs - have you visited the school? It has a very definite "feel" and ethos to it which I love but isn't everybody's cup of tea. Where does your ds want to go?
mu81

Post by mu81 »

Thank you very much for your kind reply! My DS is aiming for Reading Boys School. The only difference after moving to new house would be we won't be in the SWBS's catchment area. DS would give bucks 11+ exam as well in either case.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

There are really good schools in Maidenhead too - if you are not successful for the grammar. Just saying .......

We thought the grammar route was the 'be all and end all' and have one DD doing very well in the grammar. Second DD just missed - and we went through the whole review and appeal system - several times, for several schools (she is just clever!), and ended up in a Maidenhead comp. She is flying and will, I know do very well there. In lots of ways we are more impressed with the teaching at her current school, rather than the grammar my other DD is at.

Good luck in whatever you decide :D :D
mu81

Post by mu81 »

Thanks Booklady! Your comments would sure help us take right decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now