Teachers Letter Of Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newtothis16

Teachers Letter Of Appeal

Post by Newtothis16 »

Hi We are currently appealing for our child who missed the 111 mark by a few points.
The teacher wrote a letter of appeal which was "nice" ....
Could anyone advise on what key points should be covered. Do their statements need to be strong and focussing purely on academic side and if so to what level ??
Does anyone have a good letter they could share?
DC17C

Re: Teachers Letter Of Appeal

Post by DC17C »

Our headteacher had a locally agreed format to follow - so it was completely based on facts - CAT scores, predicted SAT levels and current reading and spelling ages- that was a 3 years ago though and I know teacher assessments are different.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Ours was much the same as DC17C, except we didn't have CATS scores but they did provide our son's end of year 5 levels. This gave a 'before and after' picture of our child's academic achievements and helped to show a dip in performance on the day of the entrance exam. It was presented in a table and was clear and concise. We also had letters addressed to the panel from the head and the class teacher which expressed their personal opinion about his abilities and suitability for grammar school. Hope this helps.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Newtothis16 wrote:Hi We are currently appealing for our child who missed the 111 mark by a few points.
The teacher wrote a letter of appeal which was "nice" ....
Could anyone advise on what key points should be covered. Do their statements need to be strong and focussing purely on academic side and if so to what level ??
Does anyone have a good letter they could share?
In terms of levels we had a letter from the school we appealed to basically saying there woud be an expectation of a minimum of L5...what we actually had was evidence that DS CAT levels were all over 128, reading age 15+, spelling age 12+ level 5 for literacy and maths at end of Yr 5 and expected to take L6 Sats. This level of evidence really drove me to thinking I had to appeal and it did result in a successful appeal at a school with a history of some successful appeals..... I know of others who have had similar levels of evidence who have appealed to quite different schools and have been unsuccessful. It is very individual to the school, the appeal panel and I guess also the number of other appeals and the individual weight of their evidence. I do wonder whether I would have gone through the whole process if the evidence I had was not quite as compelling.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now