Filling in appeal form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jpclgerard

Filling in appeal form

Post by jpclgerard »

I have printed the green forms for our appeals and am getting in a flap about what to write under 'grounds for appealing'. Into how much detail should I go? Also, looking through this forum, people seem to be far more prepared and 'savvy' than I feel, especially considering our appeal isn't until June time, I think. What am I missing?

I know I need to scan my paperwork and send to the inbox, I really need some independent help, especially with the extenuating circumstances bit.

Feeling all a bit wobbly about it all.
Guest55

Re: Filling in appeal form

Post by Guest55 »

Which area are you in? Have you read the Q and A?

We'll help when we know more.
jpclgerard

Post by jpclgerard »

We're in Bucks. Yes, I've read, and re-read the Q and A's. I expect I am probably getting upset and missing vital stuff. I keep reading about writing a letter to the appeal panel - at what point do I submit that? Surely not with this green form? Would that happen at a later date that I submit a letter and appendices ie Head's support etc?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - worth looking at this bit of the FAQ http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jpclgerard

Post by jpclgerard »

Thanks. Have had a read.

Is the 'appeal submission' this green form I am filling in? If that is the case, I must therefore fill in the form stating I do not believe review was FCO, why I believe my child is grammar suitable and my reasons for choosing each school I appeal for. All on this green form?

Must I also at this point submit my Head's letter of support and additional evidence (ie reports and the like?)

Sorry if I sound stupid. I'm really not haha! Just very stressed :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just return the form with 'details to follow' - I think this is what is suggested here - also read the appeals section in Bucks.
jpclgerard

Post by jpclgerard »

Guest55 wrote:Just return the form with 'details to follow' - I think this is what is suggested here - also read the appeals section in Bucks.
Ok, thank you. Will do.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I agree with Guest55 send in the form saying with details to follow.

However I hope I can help you to learn from a mistake that I made - I did this but also sent in a covering letter giving some bullet points as a precursor to what I was basing my appeal on. This was a mistake. They give the appeal panel all the information that you send in even if it has changed, in chronological order. My covering letter and bullet points were put on the front of the appeal pack which was very confusing for the panel. I managed to get this removed and put to the back on one appeal but not for another and I am sure that it affected the panel's decision as some of the information on levels had changed. The panel seemed to think that things had been made up because there was discrepancy in levels. They thought I had doctored a form and wouldn't accept that it was an earlier copy despite it being dated.
I suggest that you say nothing except information to follow.
jpclgerard

Post by jpclgerard »

Eccentric wrote:I agree with Guest55 send in the form saying with details to follow.

However I hope I can help you to learn from a mistake that I made - I did this but also sent in a covering letter giving some bullet points as a precursor to what I was basing my appeal on. This was a mistake. They give the appeal panel all the information that you send in even if it has changed, in chronological order. My covering letter and bullet points were put on the front of the appeal pack which was very confusing for the panel. I managed to get this removed and put to the back on one appeal but not for another and I am sure that it affected the panel's decision as some of the information on levels had changed. The panel seemed to think that things had been made up because there was discrepancy in levels. They thought I had doctored a form and wouldn't accept that it was an earlier copy despite it being dated.
I suggest that you say nothing except information to follow.
Eccentric, sorry about your experience. And thanks for sharing it. I will go with short but sweet, then. I was thinking:

We are appealing the decision that our son is not suitable for grammar school on the grounds that the Selection review was not carried out in a fair, consistent and objective manner. We believe him to be academically capable of thriving at grammar school and will seek to show this through academic evidence. We are also keen for him to attend the school for [reasons I have yet to think of].

Is this ok?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just write "Our evidence will follow." There is absolutely no need to declare your hand at this point in any way, shape or form.

(Sorry I haven't replied before - IT problems chez Sally-Anne.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now