Post subject: Susanass appeal thread 2016

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

susanass

Post subject: Susanass appeal thread 2016

Post by susanass »

Hi, I have a question. I have my appeal letter ready which takes up 2 pages of detailed information. My problem is, if I send this in with my form, I will have nothing to read on the day to the panel. (I would rather read it out as I think the nerves may get the better of me!) Do you think its best to send only bullet points now on only one page, which I know I don't want to change, and then expand my appeal by reading my letter? The letter explains my points in more detail and there are other points not mentioned on my bullet point letter just so they have the full picture. I am just worried about only sending in bullet points as I don't feel this gives the full picture of my appeal and don't want them to miss any vital information. Or shall I just send in my longer appeal with all the information now? I have read the Q&A's pages but I can't seem to find an answer to this. Thank you

I have split off your posts onto your own appeal thread, so that it doesn't get lost in someone else's appeal thread.
Guest55

Re: Filling in appeal form

Post by Guest55 »

Do you have supporting evidence susanass? It would be helpful to have levels from the school on headed paper and copies of school reports etc.

I would keep it short now and send in more info later. Continue collecting as much academic evidence as you can and get everything verified by school.
susanass

KS1 & KS2 levels for appeal?

Post by susanass »

Sorry more questions, I have a concern. My DC' s levels at KS1 were not great :? However, since Year 2 has turned it all around and every year has exceeded expectations. Year 5 CATS were above average on all subjects and predicted Y6 end of year levels (old levels style) are 5A for maths and 4A for English :? Are these levels good enough for an appeal? I have heard the levels should be all high level 5's? I have spoken to teacher who says I should mention the lower Y2 SATS as this will show how far my DC has come. Do you think it is a good idea to even mention the Y2 SATS or best not to? I worry this may go against my DC. Final question, how will I even be able to prove his end of Y6 predicted levels are these as they have now changed the levels?? And how do I know if my DC might just get to the required level 5 for English by the end of Y6 as what they have given me is only a prediction? Just to add we are not after a super selective. Thank you
Last edited by susanass on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Re: KS1 & KS2 levels for appeal?

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest you keep all your posts about your appeal together? Maybe ask a mod to relabel this as your appeal in the title?

Progress is important - so I think I would put all the levels from Year 2 then Year 3, 4 and 5. Get the CATS on school headed paper.

Which area are you? An expert from that LA might be better placed to help you.
susanass

Post by susanass »

Thank you for your prompt replies. Sorry I posted in the wrong area. Will keep it all here. I have asked them to put it all in writing. I see what you mean about progress. So you think its best to add it in then?
Last edited by susanass on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I see a mod has put your posts together - many thanks whoever that was :D

Rapid sustained progress over four years is good - KS1 levels can be influenced by how old the child is and school policies on the amount of 'evidence' they are looking for to give a level 3.

Good luck.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

susanass wrote:Thank you for your prompt replies. Sorry I posted in the wrong area. Will keep it all here. I am based in South East Kent. I have asked them to put it all in writing. I see what you mean about progress. So you think its best to add it in then?

It wasn't in the wrong area as such, but it is easier to deal with appeals discussions if each poster has their own appeal thread and keeps everything together. Otherwise bits can get 'lost'. :D
susanass

Post by susanass »

Guest55 wrote:I see a mod has put your posts together - many thanks whoever that was :D

Rapid sustained progress over four years is good - KS1 levels can be influenced by how old the child is and school policies on the amount of 'evidence' they are looking for to give a level 3.

Good luck.
Thank you. So do you think his end of year predicted levels are good enough? And how can this be shown on my appeal as the levels have now changed? Thank you
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Are you me? We are in a similar situation, although a daughter instead! Our HT has agreed to give an estimate of 'old' levels as well as current levels (e.g exceeding would be predicted equivalent of 5a in yr 6). Would your HT be willing to do the same?

She was keen to show the acceleration too (our daughter has gone from bottom to top table since beginning yr2), we are not so sure either, we don't want to plant that seed of doubt. Good luck with the appeal.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think showing above expected progress to an appeal panel is a good thing. The 11+ comes very early in Y6 so children can improve a lot between then and appeal. Showing above average progress from end of Y2 is no bad thing as it keeps the focus on academic ability and suitability to Grammar School.