Music Test - Accompanist

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Strawberry123

Music Test - Accompanist

Post by Strawberry123 »

I am curious to know peoples thoughts around any benefit in children playing string/wind pieces unaccomapnied or whether it is wiser to choose a piece with a piano accompanist , even though the child has never met the pianist before ?
ToadMum

Re: Music Test - Accompanist

Post by ToadMum »

Strawberry123 wrote:I am curious to know peoples thoughts around any benefit in children playing string/wind pieces unaccomapnied or whether it is wiser to choose a piece with a piano accompanist , even though the child has never met the pianist before ?
Is it one of the rules that you can only be accompanied by the person employed by the school, or can you book the accompanist your DC has for exams (assuming that s/he is available on the day)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Strawberry123

Post by Strawberry123 »

Thank you. Where does it say you can have the accompanist from the exams ? I have not seen that written anywhere just one that they supply.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds did this music audition. You have to use their person but you have plenty of time to prepare with them. In my opinion part of the audition is showing your ability to work with them. Our woman loved dd1's piece and told her how much she enjoyed playing it. As it was written as a Viola/Piano duet by a woman in love with a pianist we knew she would love it. I am sure it really helped as dd1 did not drop a mark. DG
Strawberry123

Post by Strawberry123 »

You can prepare on the day with the person accompanying ? Thats good to hear - how much time do they allow for this ? Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We felt on both times we had all the time we needed. But we did arrive early and so we had lots of opportunities. We were also with lots of pianists and violinists playing Fiddle Time Joggers so we did not face much competition for her time! DG
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

My DD (in 2013) didn't have an opportunity to rehearse. In fact, the accompanying was a total disaster for her. She played Dvorak Humoresque on violin and the accompanist had to ask her to restart twice because he made mistakes. Her audition was the first one of the day and she wasn't given a waiting/warm up room which meant she had to tune up in the audition room while the examiners were taking their coats off and rearranging the furniture.
She has always been a confident performer and had played the piece accompanied many times so she still scored highly but was unfortunately just below the cut off for her first choice school (although she did get a place after appeal).
It wasn't really the experience or result she had hoped for.

If you do decide on an accompanied piece I would make sure your child has had plenty of rehearsals with an accompanist so that they are familiar playing the piece with a pianist.
Last edited by 1Watford on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is really shocking. No wonder you won your appeal. They should have given you the opportunity to come back on another day with a different accompanist. I would hope he is no longer with them.

Also no point in preparing for the audition if you are not also preparing for the audio test. You do not get to audition unless you get through that first so that should be your first focus. DG
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I totally agree with 1Watford's advice.

We have a professional violinist in the family. She would never perform with an accompanist without having rehearsed together first; when going for exams, she always had at least 2-3 rehearsals with the pianist beforehand. I would think an opportunity to rehearse with an accompanist before an exam/audition is crucial for a child, in particular when they haven't played with a given pianist before.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Strawberry123

Post by Strawberry123 »

Thank you all. My gut feel is that my DD should go a solo piece without the pressure of being accompanied. Fingers crossed for the aural test, how soon should one prep for that? Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now