Every school to become an academy

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Every school to become an academy

Post by JaneEyre »

As some changes will happen in schools in England, I would be grateful if people 'in the know' could put here some links so that uninformed parents can understand as much as possible. Many thanks in advance!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35814215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Concerning grammar to academy status, info is given here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... emy-status" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Re: Every school to become an academy

Post by um »

I guess you've got the info, JaneEyre.

Essentially it means the end of Local Authorities overseeing education. Their role was diminishing in any case.
With the demise of governing bodies which represent the local community and parents, it means a further decrease in local accountability of schools.
The government has realised this and is discussing 'local commissioners' in the realisation that they cannot manage all the schools centrally from Whitehall.....we can only wait and see what happens.
I fear that it means more taxpayers' money in the hands of private companies and new chains who have dubious educational experience... essentially the privatisation if education but without the parental choice that 'privatisation' is supposed to bring.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Wouldn't the legal framework have to change in some way to ensure that "in-year" admissions could be forced upon academies if necessary? And how would population increases be dealt with?

As an aside, at the current time a local authority cannot build and run a new school if the demographics necessitate one? It has to be an academy or free school (which is an academy) per the Education Act 2011?

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... ol-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But is the local authority allowed to pay an academy chain to build a new school or to expand e.g. I think the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex which will hold 6 forms in each year group is to have the capital funding provided by Kent County Council to Weald of Kent academy, currently based 10 miles away in Tonbridge.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Black day for English education.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Agree with Amber. My experience of Academies is they employ a plethora of admin staff some even employing people to source extra funding.

Secondly outstanding schools seem to carry on fine although all are now feeling the pinch, hence the second part of above sentance. However I have experience of two failing secondary schools. The one that turned into an Academy is still failing four years later the one under LEA control goes from strength to strength and recently opted not to pursue Academy status ( I assume they did the maths and realised it is not viable)
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

There are at least 3 GS in Bucks that are academies and are still highly respected. Did their results/standards drop when they changed status does anyone know?

Forcing all schools to change status seems a folly to me; I do wonder how many politicians live in the real world.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Most secondary schools around here (in fact I think all of them) are academies. I think that for secondary schools it can have benefits (at least, I don't see significant negatives from teachers/management/parents).
For many primaries (particularly those that are small) this will be very difficult and many will not survive a transition to an academy.
And I don't think ANY politicians live in the real world. But unfortunately journalists don't seem to either so I don't think this will get any robust criticism in the media.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

loobylou wrote:Most secondary schools around here (in fact I think all of them) are academies. I think that for secondary schools it can have benefits (at least, I don't see significant negatives from teachers/management/parents).
For many primaries (particularly those that are small) this will be very difficult and many will not survive a transition to an academy.
And I don't think ANY politicians live in the real world. But unfortunately journalists don't seem to either so I don't think this will get any robust criticism in the media.
Sadly, I think you are right. I just checked the Daily Mail (always ready to criticise the govt) and all they are focused on is the proposed longer school hours!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
loobylou wrote:Most secondary schools around here (in fact I think all of them) are academies. I think that for secondary schools it can have benefits (at least, I don't see significant negatives from teachers/management/parents).
Sadly, I think you are right. I just checked the Daily Mail (always ready to criticise the govt) and all they are focused on is the proposed longer school hours!
Yes that's what my dh (a teacher) was focused on this morning as well!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Unless I am mistaken, all three boys' grammars in Sutton are academies and so is Wallington Grils'; I'm not sure about Nonsuch and if it's not an academy yet, whether it will convert given that the two girls' schools have formed a joint Education Trust. Our two-form entry primary is also an academy...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now