London - cut-off date for indep and grammar not in synch

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aifos

London - cut-off date for indep and grammar not in synch

Post by aifos »

We have recieved an offer for an independent school in London which we need to reply by 3rd march midday. We really like the school but would like to know about our offers for grammar before replying. However, we will not know re grammar until the 4th. Has anyone been in this position before, are the independents flexible about dates. We definitelly do not want to lose our place at the independent or go on a waiting list (may lose scholarship). Do people normally accept offers irrespective and then decide later on when grammar school places are offered?

Thanks for any advice.
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

aifos have you tried ringing the independent and asking whether they'll stretch the deadline 24 hours? Worth a try. Otherwise maybe better to pay up and secure that place before 4th March - however financially painful and annoying.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

I think 1st March is usually offer day and that possibly this is just a blip this year, perhaps because the 1st is a Saturday. I know in the past the independents have waited for the state school offers to come out. They may well be prepared to wait 24 hours if you ring them.
Enter Dad...

Post by Enter Dad... »

I concur with the previous 2 replies. Call the school and ask them if they are happy to wait until the 4th.

Out of the 3 schools that we were offered, one school wrote that they would wait until the 4th if our decision was dependent on the offers by the LEA. We wrote to the other 2 and one has replied that they would too will wait. We are waiting for the 3rd to reply.

It does show that the independents are understanding.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now