Waiting lists - what is the process?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scouselova

Waiting lists - what is the process?

Post by scouselova »

My son passed the 11+ with a good score but not not enough to get an offer at either BGS or Poole. He is on the waiting list for both quite near the top but I cant seem to get a straight answer from the schools or council as to how that process works. Anyone know or clear on this process? Surely now the deadline for acceptance has passed they know if people have turned places down and can't start working down the waiting list? I have no idea as to when i 'give' up on the chance of a place via this route?
Twinmumdorch

Re: Waiting lists - what is the process?

Post by Twinmumdorch »

One of my twins is on the waiting list for Parkstone. I called them directly at the end of the first week. They said that the Poole authority are notified which children turn down places and that when they know how many they look to see who can be offered places. When we called the Poole authority to find out where she was on the list they said that they only offer places under the instruction of PGS and it was best to ring back on Monday! Today I emailed the school but got an out of office response; no one there until Monday.
The admissions team did tell me that there are another round of allocations and that your child can move further down the waiting list after April 1st. I'm not sure how that works.
We applied via Dorset and my letter says do nothing, we assume you want the place. I emailed PGS as I was worried they wouldn't know we wanted the one place. They said call Poole admissions. I called them to say I definitely wanted the place for my twin and they said I have to accept it through Dorset. Dorset say I have a place and the letter proves it. There is no way to accept it just to decline it. I am so worried they won't have kept her place and I am going round in circles. It's all very confusing!
scouselova

Post by scouselova »

Yep sound like you are getting same inconsistencies as me. It means we worry more about whether we are doing what we should, haven't done what we should etc. It's like it's the first time they've done it but it happens every year!
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

Do you have a preference for Poole or BSB? Do you like the alternative you have been offered? I really want Parkstone as that's where one of my twins have been offered.
Maybe this week you will hear something. We won't get a place from the waiting list as she is too far down.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

I had an email from the school today to say she is further down the list after late testing. I hope the boys news is better.
scouselova

Post by scouselova »

No emails, in fact no contact at all. I may ring schools later in week to see.
WizardMan

Post by WizardMan »

I am not a 100% sure how this works but my daughter was on the waiting list for PGS, she was very near the top and she moved down the list over time.

I did phone the school and asked to be put on the waiting list, but got the impression this was automatic.

I also got the impression that there was not much movement in the list.

I know one parent that did get PGS but wanted to get BGS and so appealed to BGS. This was unsuccessful but it would have freed up a place a PGS if she had been successful.

Also another that got a PGS place but decided to send her daughter to private school. But this happened quite quickly after the results for the placements came out.
scouselova

Post by scouselova »

Thanks. We have decided to appeal as appeals take precedence over waiting list now 'normal ' turnover finished
WizardMan

Post by WizardMan »

Good luck with the appeal. It is a very stressful period for all those involved.

Having gone through the process myself and was luckily successful, I still think it is important to get a sense of the probability of getting a successful appeal and being positive about the alternatives.

While still making as strong a case as you can for the appeal. Otherwise I think the burden can be too great.
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

We are in the top ten for BSB waiting list.

We are appealing as well assuming we don't get in. Does anyone have any idea in the past how many boys have been accepted on the waiting list? We literally have no idea? Don't want to get our hopes up nor our sons. I also spoke to school who advised there should be some movement in April with places being accepted/refused.

Presumably the lucky ones will be notified in April therefore? If anyone has any info on waiting lists would be grateful - especially if someone has been on waiting list in the past and was accepted?

thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now