Is Paris safe?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Is Paris safe?

Post by Catseye »

My dd is due to have a trip to France and few days in Paris during Easter break,I am getting rather worried about the terrorist threat there at the present time, we have payed up the the full amount for the the break .

Although my natural instincts are to refuse to give in to such animals but when it comes to one's own child I have lost some of my principles.

What would you do?
quasimodo

Re: Is Paris safe?

Post by quasimodo »

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... /terrorism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The threat level in France which is a huge country is at its highest level.

If I had any concerns I wouldn't send her.

If she did go, thinking rationally she would be highly unlikely to be the victim of terrorism and would be perfectly safe.It is natural to have irrational concerns for your own children.See what the other parents are doing and go with the consensus.

We travelled last year in February 2015 for about five days as a family with my two dds and had a lovely time sightseeing in the centre of Paris and at Euro Disney.

Having said that there was the recent scare at Euro Disney.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35431086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I have family in Paris and they are just carrying on as normal. I think as long as your daughter is not going to be spending time in high profile places it should be fine. The airport will be very safe after Brussels. In fact I should think that the whole of Europe is probably safer today than it was yesterday because the level of security has been increased.
I can understand your fears entirely, it is hard to have perspective when it is your own child.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think the question is "Is anywhere safe?". Sadly not these days, but the chances of something happening to you or your family are small & I believe we should try to carry on as normal if possible. However, of course, this is YOUR DC, and you are naturally anxious. Only you can decide. My own DD has just changed her mind about booking a holiday in Turkey. Unlikely to come to any harm but in the end decided that there were other places to go.
scary mum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I am afraid the article is in French but it says that the security level is stepped up in airports, stations and trains and publics transports.

Attentats de Bruxelles: mesures de sécurité maximales dans les transports français

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2016/03 ... iliens.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has also been mentioned this morning on BBC news that as France will host the Euro 2016 in football, it will have to think over its security on these occasions.

If your DD goes to Paris, I do wish her a wonderful trip as it is really a beautiful city!! :D :D And France in general is beautiful, like many other countries are! :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

scary mum wrote:I think the question is "Is anywhere safe?". Sadly not these days, but the chances of something happening to you or your family are small & I believe we should try to carry on as normal if possible. However, of course, this is YOUR DC, and you are naturally anxious. Only you can decide. My own DD has just changed her mind about booking a holiday in Turkey. Unlikely to come to any harm but in the end decided that there were other places to go.
+1
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

My son also due to go to Paris and Euro Disney this weekend!

We are very nervous, dh wanted us to pull him out but at the mo ds still wants to go. School very understnading but are still saying its ok to go and can we decide asap. I've said I don't care if we decide not to send him as he steps onto the bus! In the end it is his decision, at 12.5 years and if he has a last minute serious wobble I won'tbe the one to force him onto the coach. In the meantime trying to talk rationally about risk etc without letting my fears show thorugh. Its very hard though, with your own.....
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I worked in London and my father commuted into the city for decades, including through the IRA threats of the 1970s. Nevertheless, I was still wary of going into the city yesterday for a 'day out from the Midlands' after driving towards the station with the terrible news of Brussels on the radio.

It sounds a terribly harsh thing to say, but the terrorist risk is still incredibly low compared with the standard risk of anyone travelling on the roads or even having a serious accident at home, see http://www.rospa.com/home-safety/advice ... -the-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you don't see this as trivialising the horrific incidents of yesterday and my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. And - of course - anyone will respect your decision in the circumstances, whatever it is.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think events like yesterday's highlight and bring into focus our natural fears for our children. But I suspect that, after each event like this, risks elsewhere are actually a bit lower for a while because security is more evident and there is heightened awareness.
Since 7/7 I still find myself looking around for problems on the tube and have felt nervous every time my children are going on the tube without me - but rationally I know that the risks are low and they could be injured doing something else. My dd has been on 2 school buses that have crashed in 18 months! but I don't think twice about that whereas I do think twice when she goes on the tube.
But I think you have to do what feels right for your child and your family.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I wonder if Paris/France and Brussels/Belgium are "more" safe having had serious attacks? Possibly other big cities are more at risk? Whilst I understand and support the "carry on as normal" mentality, there is a difference between every day life and trips that are in addition to normal life. It has certainly made us think and we are considering pulling one son out of a planned school trip as we do not think it is possible for the school to give safety assurances.