Appeals - faith based school oversubscription

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

swmum76

Appeals - faith based school oversubscription

Post by swmum76 »

I would like to ask for your advice with regards to making an appeal. I have sent an email to the messagebox containing more detailed background information.

My child was not considered for any of our listed preferred schools.

The first choice is a faith-based school with oversubscription. They use several criteria in ranking their applicants. During the application, I completed the local authority application form which also asked for details of her baptism, which I though were sufficient to prove her religion. I was unable to provide supporting evidence to support our claim, as I was not aware that this is a requirement. It was an honest oversight from my end. She was therefore placed in a lower criterion. As a parent, I am doing everything to rectify the situation and would not want my child to be penalised because of this. I now have secured the evidence required. I am not sure if this will have any bearing on my appeal. I admit my shortcoming, hence I am humbly asking for re-consideration. Will this be a valid ground for an appeal?

Also, my child is a very talented athlete who has started competing in a national level. She goes to her training after school. She trains 22 hours a week on top of school hours. We find it very difficult to fit our schedule around this. We manage to get by with help from her godparents whose child attends the same school (at present, and managed to get a place in our preferred school) and goes to the same gym after. We share with school runs to make it manageable to meet their needs. I would not have that support if she goes to the school allocated to her. She will not make it on time for her training if she is to travel using public transport coming from the school that's been offered. Although the school that she was allocated is local to us, our preferred school is relatively nearer to the gym where she trains regularly. She has so much potential and with continued support in her sport, it is possible that she could represent the country in the future. Will this be a valid point to raise?

Any support or guidance to make our appeal stronger will be very much appreciated.
MaggieMay

Re: Appeals - faith based school oversubscription

Post by MaggieMay »

You should, of course, own up to your 'shortcoming' regarding evidence of faith and include it for your appeal. If your child would have been allocated had the evidence been included, then this fact should be clearly mentioned as your main evidence of appealing. Faith schools usually make it very clear on their application forms that you must include supporting evidence of baptism etc so don't be surprised if this is defended by the school/Authority!
Your reason for wanting the school because it is nearer the gym for her training would be stronger if you could include something to back this up - maybe a letter from her athletic club or suchlike?
Twinkle

Re: Appeals - faith based school oversubscription

Post by Twinkle »

If you haven't done so already also put your child on the waiting list and submit the religious evidence. This should hopefully move you towards the top of the waiting list
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now