Newstead Wood September 2016 starters

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Newstead Wood September 2016 starters

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A thread for those who have girls starting in September. You may already have received the letter about the parents evening on 14th June. Hope to meet some of you there.

I am also relaying a message from the co-chair of Providing Excellence Together who (my having seen a letter about this on their website and emailed to query if open to forthcoming parents) invites us all to their Spruce up Saturday on 16th April. She says:

"We would love new parents to join us on Spruce Up Saturday, you are most welcome! And do spread the word to any other new parents. Apart from helping the school, it will be a great way of you getting to meet a cross-section of parents at the school and ask them questions!

I'm attaching a form just issued today if you'd like to register. You can then either return it to the school or simply email me your details, whichever is easiest for you."

I can't attach the form here, so please email pet@newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk if you would like to help out / have another opportunity to nose around the school...

All the best

PWF
PettswoodFiona

Re: Newstead Wood September 2016 starters

Post by PettswoodFiona »

They've now posted the letter with more details on the letters page, so can be seen here: http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... Apr_16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It doesn't look like a new Head will be joining at the same time as our girls this coming September http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... r_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been impressed (on paper at least as I have no direct experience) of how Nick Webb has been running the school so it doesn't seem completely rudderless.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

In awe of all the helpers at the Newstead Spruce up Saturday today. Everyone was amazing. DH was on cutting back trees at the front, I did secateur work to try and unravel years of branches winding in and out of a mesh fence. DD getting familiar at skip loading techniques under the direction of the amazing Graham. Thank you to all the cake bakers, tea makers, organisers, mosaic / kids activities organisers, flower bed regenerators, painters and sport court fixers. Many more who 'just got on with it'.

On top of this I loved to hear about the £1m capital fund injection that will sort out windows and roof. Apparently all in time for the new starters in September.

Brilliant.

This is becoming a bit of a one sided communication and a couple of new joiners have contacted me by PM so I know it isn't going to nought, but do feel free to post here too!
GeorgiaG

Post by GeorgiaG »

Does anybody know how many children there will be in each form and if the girls will find out what form they will be in on induction day, 30th June?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There are two classes of 26 and four classes of 27. I wonder if they find out their houses before as there are the school uniform suppliers coming in after the parents' evening but before the induction day and some sports kit is dependent on house. All exciting stuff!
GeorgiaG

Post by GeorgiaG »

Good point, re finding out what house they will be in before we start buying uniforms. It will probably be on induction day.

Very exciting, yes, and slightly daunting for us and our girls. My DD is hoping she will be in the same form with at least one of the girls she knows (3 others) although I don't know how likely this is, not knowing according to what criteria this is decided by the school. Is it by test results, or area, or random?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Good point GeorgiaG. DD has a few friends from her school but one close friend. I think the odds are against them being in the same class but they might travel together for the first few days at least. DD didn't/won't do SATs and the test result is just one day and doesn't really show maths ability in the best way as NVR isn't a direct comparison. I heard they start setting in maths from y8 but don't know how accurate that is. All part of what we are about to find out...
Caramellulu

Post by Caramellulu »

Hi
My daughter is currently in year 7 and we found out her house and form on the first parents evening. On induction day she met her new class and form tutor. The forms are not organised by test score and are a range of ability. Chances are that your daughter will be placed with someone she knows. Setting for maths takes place in year 8 based on the summer exams. Hope this helps!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks caramellulu