Appealing for non qualification or over subcription?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ecar81

Appealing for non qualification or over subcription?

Post by Ecar81 »

Hi, I really need some help.

My son missed out on the 11+ by 11 marks. On advice from his school we went to review and he was deemed selective.
We were not offered our choice of grammar school and are going to appeal so my question is do I appeal on the grounds of over subcripton or non qualification?

Any advice would be greatly appreicated.
emmajane1

Re: Appealing for non qualification or over subcription?

Post by emmajane1 »

which school is it ?

If it is the math then they admit on distance so it will be oversubscription because you live too far away. If it is Rainham Mark then it is score so you need to show that as the review deemed him suitable he is working above the pass mark. A pass on review is ranked as achieving exactly the pass score and no higher thus limits access to school in Medway that rank by score
hope this helps
didledad

Post by didledad »

It is also my opinion that you would be appealing against the oversubscription criteria for each individual school, as all Medway Grammar Schools use the council administered Medway and in two cases Kent Test, including their review procedures, to determine selective ability. Thus, as your son has been deemed selective on review, he is no different than anyone else, except as EmmaJane1 pointed out that his score will be at the pass mark threshold of 521, consequently if RMGS is your preferred option; where they select on rank score,with a cut off of 528 this year, I assume anyone with a score of 522 to 527 would take preference over your son. However, all maybe not lost as some people who have been offered RMGS may choose a different school, I guess this maybe more prevalent at RMGS as distance is not a criterion and hence more attractive to genuine out of area children who maybe appeal and are successful at another school or decide ultimately to go to an independent school.
The other grammar options at the Howard, Chatham Grammar and the Math School all after special circumstances and current sibling links select on nearness to the school, so the actual mark is irrelevant.
It is also my understanding that appeals should concentrate on why the school is the most suitable and not why he should have got in anyway.
All the best with your appeal.
Last edited by didledad on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
didledad

Post by didledad »

Further to my last post, one thing that is puzzling me is the correlation between the appeal process and waiting lists.
As I understand it in Medway the two processes are independent of each other, although an appellant will automatically be added to the waiting list for the school they are appealing to.
As both the waiting lists and appeals processes are judged against the relevant school’s oversubscription criteria; which takes precedence?
For example, if an appellant puts forward a convincing case and the appeal is judged successful by the panel, could the appellant find they were successful, however, there is someone else on the waiting list whose criteria trumps the appellants? Perhaps the appellants’ score is 521; however, someone else on the waiting list has a score of 525.
Or if the appeal is successful in the aforementioned example, would the appellant be offered a place and school’s PAN increased by one, or would the Appeal Panel be aware of all other scores in excess of the appellants and would therefore by default decline the appeal, which in my opinion would make the process completely objective and negate the potential for talent to be identified via a more subjective process.
I am sorry if this has confused matters, or I am missing the point totally. However, if someone could offer some clarity it would be helpful.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Appeal panels must not take account of waiting lists, or even be told of a child's position on the list.

If the oversubscription appeal is successful, the child is admitted, regardless of the state of the waiting list.
didledad

Post by didledad »

Sally-Anne,

Thank you for the clarification.
Ecar81

Post by Ecar81 »

Thank you for your replies.
It is Rainham mark that we are appealing to so from what you are saying is that I have to prove that that score doesn't reflect my sons true abilities.

Also I am appealing on medical grounds but that is not one of their over subscription criteria's so will that be taken into account or not?

Thanks again.
didledad

Post by didledad »

Ecar 81,
I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on your medical grounds query. However, you maybe aware that on the RMGS website, admissions page, the school put forward a specific contact to discuss the appeal process, as they recognise how complicated it can be.
Also, if you check a previous thread "views on RMGS" there is a post from a Tutor who has an in depth knowledge of the school, it maybe worthwhile personal messaging them and seeking some Professional advice.
All the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now