Finding The Archers really tense....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Finding The Archers really tense....

Post by Yamin151 »

I know someone mentioned the Archers the other day - surely we can't be the only 2 listeners on here? Unlike TV soaps, which I never watch, there is not an automatic "round the water cooler" opportunity to discuss issues raised. I need to say how tense I am feeling and how I am listening with mounting horror to the domestic control and abuse storyline, but I cannot turn away from it either. As someone lucky enough not to have suffered abuse I find it very uncomfortable, but feel it has grown in a real time manner and in a way that makes it feel realistic - i.e. its not all the big evil man - because he is played so subtly you can see why people are taken in. An article I was reading points out that this real time, combined with the lack of a picture, so we feel like we are eavesdropping, is what makes it so distressing, as opposed to the seemingly daily dose of drama we see on Eastenders and similar, where there is far less allowance to be subtle, and not even the tiniest action or expression has to be imagined. I may be out on my own here, I hope not - I feel like I need to hold someone's hand as this harrowing story continues. A few notes for anyone not yet familiar......

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... vided-fans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Re: Finding The Archers really tense....

Post by hermanmunster »

It is very tense, - must say I often can't listen to the programme live and tend to browse twitter to see whether I really want to listen that evening.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'd listen to the omnibus this week if I were you......
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yamin151 wrote:I'd listen to the omnibus this week if I were you......
I have heard most of the episodes this week - don't think I'll be able to listen live tomorrow evening as at work and I guess that could be an interesting episode (so long as they don't throw in a BertTobyRex chat about Hen Houses)
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I listen to the omnibus. I too find it a really moving storyline. I get so angry and frustrated that everyone thinks he is so lovely.....I don't want it to continue for much longer and hopes he gets his comeuppance.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm an R4 habitué and though not an Archers fan I tend to ignore it and leave it on as aural wallpaper, but at the moment I hit the off button as soon as I hear the signature tune - if I wanted unrequited misery I'd be watching Unreported World.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Ohhhh.. is the woman being abused the one with, I had assumed, baby-blues and with a caring husband and mother-in-law; the one that burnt the dinner the other day? I don't tune in every day but love it when I manage to hear it, though I was more worried about the fire and the "small" cows as I hadn't picked up on any abuse :-(
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

You're definatelyniton you're own. I'm usually a casual listener, often if I'm in the car, although at the moment I am downloading the podcast.

Have you seen this too?

http://www.refuge.org.uk/2016/02/05/the ... -48-hours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's truly sinister (wouldn't surprise me if he'd got to the hen house too).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have to admit that my first thought on being stuck with the Archers for the first time in ages one evening this week (forgot to change channel before I started doing something involving hands not being clean enough to do it once I'd begun, if you see what I mean) was, 'Flip me, is this storyline still on the go?'. I'm glad that I find dear Rob (?) an even more unsympathetic character than the wretched Helen, otherwise I might be tempted to voice a very un-PC thought or two, I'm afraid :oops: . We used to look forward to listening to the omnibus edition every Sunday, but I'm afraid that that time - along with the 9 am slot on a Saturday - has for a long while now been one when we switch over to some other channel.

I have to say, though, that for me the Archers was eclipsed by the continuity person who referred to a certain composer as 'Hay(as in 'horses eat it, but grass is cheaper')den' :evil: .
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

ToadMum wrote:I have to say, though, that for me the Archers was eclipsed by the continuity person who referred to a certain composer as 'Hay(as in 'horses eat it, but grass is cheaper')den :evil: .
Even I know that is wrong, and I am not musical! The only time I encountered him was when I had to write an essay about a composer for music at secondary school and he was the only composer I could find in the books (remember those?) in the house!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now