Medway Review / Appeal: Do I have any hope???

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thankfulmum

Medway Review / Appeal: Do I have any hope???

Post by Thankfulmum »

Hi everyone, it is my first post as I stumbled on this forum last night. My Dd didn't make the 11+ for Medway (she had a score of 499) much lower than expected of her. We have been unsuccessful in the review as well but strongly considering going to Appeal but I am not too sure of the review result so I will put it down below.

Review Results:

(1) English: Work provided indicates a higher level than that achieved in the test.

(2) Mathematics: Work provided shows understanding of number and all 4 operations. No evidence of mathematical investigation or reasoning.

(3) Science: Insufficient evidence to make a judgement on scientific understanding and reasoning.

Overall comments section of the review result was left blank which concerns me.

I am not giving excuses here but my daughter was very unwell the day before the exam so I had to take her in for an emergency GP appointment. On the morning of the exam, I actually contemplated calling the emergency number on our letter to let them know my daughter will not be able to sit for the exam but she told me she will be fine to do the exam plus she didn't want to do her's alone without the other students. I didn't realise my daughter had an anxiety issue until after the exam results came (and of course she failed). Few days after the result came and I could't work out why she didn't pass, I had a heart to heart talk with her and she confessed to me that she felt really sick at the exam hall and that her mind went blank and her eyes went blurry and I asked why she didn't inform any of the invigilators there but she said she was really scared. We are in Gravesend so not Medway but she really liked Rochster Grammar. To be honest, I didn't know what all these symptons were but later found out its called anxiety. I was a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't figure out there was this issue in the first place.

The head teacher also said that her score is uncharacteristically low compared to her prevailing academical level. She has not been given any of the choices of school named on her form and she has been given a school in Gravesend but we are moving to Medway soon.

What can I do and what grounds do I have in the appeal as I have only got few days till submission deadline.

Any advice gratefully received, feeling absolutely stressed and sad about the whole thing.
Thankfulmum

Re: Medway Review / Appeal: Do I have any hope???

Post by Thankfulmum »

Can anyone please advice? Or have I posted in the wrong forum? I'm assuming this is the Medway side of the forum. Any information will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Hi Thankfulmum - I can't help with your question as I am in a different area, but this is the right place for your post and I am sure Sally-Anne (and others) will be along soon with some good advice :-)
Thankfulmum

Post by Thankfulmum »

Thank you so much BucksBornNBred. I thought I had posted on the wrong side of the forum Plus I'm still trying to find my feet and familiarise on here. Thanks
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Have you read through the appeals section? That might help with some initial answers while you wait. I went through all of this last year so know that is a good place to start. Good luck :-)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Appeals Q&A is your best starting point: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I think that is what BucksBornNBred is referring to.)

I'm afraid that appeal panels don't have a great deal of sympathy for the argument that the child was unwell on the day, but was sent in to the test. I don't know the specific wording in Medway, but most areas have quite strong wording on the subject.

Beyond that, you need to make your academic case as strongly as possible.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Sally-Anne wrote:The Appeals Q&A is your best starting point: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I think that is what BucksBornNBred is referring to.)
It was Sally-Anne - I couldn't paste the link though!
Thankfulmum

Post by Thankfulmum »

Thank you so much Sally-Anne and BucksBornNBred, I'm having a read through the pages of information on the link. Greatful for this forum.
Thankfulmum

Background information has been sent to the Appeals Box

Post by Thankfulmum »

I have read through all the links attached so thank you for all the information. I have also sent a background information to the Appeals Box.
I hope you are all enjoying a well deserved bank holiday?
Thankfulmum

Post by Thankfulmum »

Hi and thank you for all the contribution so far and the invaluable links with wealth of information (they have really opened my eyes to a lot). I have also now realised that I would need to be able to proof that my daughters review was FCO so I have scanned and attached Docs to appeal inbox and in the meantime, I'll find the FCO thread on here as it was referred to on another thread I came across earlier today.

Many thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now