Getting Lost again...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Getting Lost again...

Post by ToadMum »

DS1's latest extracurricular activity at university :roll:
http://www.guildofstudents.com/events/6411/1421/

I am sort of hoping that he and his partner don't try to copy the 'Ukraine' team, can't think why. Apparently another team made it to the Canary Islands one year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Re: Getting Lost again...

Post by doodles »

Well the Canaries sounds warmer than the Ukraine :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

May I suggest a passport as friends who did this at uni were promptly returned at Calais!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:May I suggest a passport as friends who did this at uni were promptly returned at Calais!
Yes, I have suggested this. And am now trying to remember whether he took it with him back in September or whether this is going to mean another £6.45 or whatever for RMSD :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Having spent all day yesterday getting to Dover (apparently 6am on Easter Saturday is not a good time to try hitch hiking in Selly Oak, nor lunchtime on Easter Saturday in Coventry :( ), a couple of hours ago he and his partner had actually made it as far as Calais. And yes, he did have his passport - and his EHIC, although obviously we are hoping that he won't need that. The young woman he has paired up with is studying French, Spanish and Portuguese, which will be complemented nicely by DS1's GCSE German, I'm sure :lol:

I'm just hoping that he didn't take too seriously my comment about Portuguese coming in handy in certain parts of Africa...

(And in the meantime, DH has just set off in the pouring rain to pick up DS2, who has spent the past 48 hours with a bunch of fellow Scouts in a field which was pretty soggy under foot when I dropped him off in brilliant sunshine on Friday. I hope that DH thinks to reverse into the parking area, or else it may be a while before they get back again).
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

ToadMum wrote:I'm just hoping that he didn't take too seriously my comment about Portuguese coming in handy in certain parts of Africa...
:lol: :lol:

ToadMum wrote: DS2, who has spent the past 48 hours with a bunch of fellow Scouts in a field which was pretty soggy under foot when I dropped him off in brilliant sunshine on Friday.
DD, whose is an Akela, cancelled early yesterday morning a hike due on that day in some hills south of Birmingham.... She has been well inspired! Except that one parent didn't receive her mail :shock: and was waiting I do not know where, all alone, wandering why there was nobody! :( :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, their official final distance from base was 498Km - they sort of gave up trying to get away from Paris in the end, apparently having had the offer of a second night's free accommodation :lol: . Of the other teams, the 'winners' got as far as Bucharest; the next furthest, Rome.

He has yet to enlighten us as to how and when he is getting back to the UK...
doodles

Post by doodles »

ToadMum wrote:He has yet to enlighten us as to how and when he is getting back to the UK...
Because that part of the journey has yet to cross his mind :) :lol:

No, well done to them, I do have a secret admiration for this sort of adventure. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think my main qualms were re the timing; the organisers did advise avoiding Brussels, though.

Recognising that DS1 might be a bit weary of public transport by now, DH did text him to say that one of us might be able to come and pick him up on Thursday or Friday. I just hope he made it clear that he meant from Birmingham :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now