Marling school trips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mrsdevonshire

Marling school trips

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Our son has a place at Marling to start in Sept 2016.

We have had an email inviting him to join an amazing trip to the NASA space station in USA in Oct 2017.

He is interested but not enough to commit as he hadn't started yet. I asked Marling and they said it was a whole school trip and other Y6 parents had already expressed interest.

I feel a little pressured and wonder if those at Marling already can advise if such trips are common and whether not signing up before we start would be unusual?

Just don't know what to do for the best. He doesn't know anyone yet and it's a big outlay which would be pointless if he didn't have friends (he hasn't met yet) going.

Thanks

Mrs D
Last edited by Mrsdevonshire on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC17C

Re: Marling school trips

Post by DC17C »

Mrsdevonshire wrote:Our son has a place at Marling to start in Sept 2016.

We have had an email inviting him to join an amazing trip to the NASA space station in Oct 2017.

He is interested but not enough to commit as he hadn't started yet. I asked Marling and they said it was a whole school trip and other Y6 parents had already expressed interest.

I feel a little pressured and wonder if those at Marling already can advise if such trips are common and whether not signing up before we start would be unusual?

Just don't know what to do for the best. He doesn't know anyone yet and it's a big outlay which would be pointless if he didn't have friends (he hasn't met yet) going.

Thanks

Mrs D
Sorry I take it this is a trip to the US .....maybe to Florida .....I read it as a trip to the Space Station to start with ....maybe taking over from Tim Peake... now that would be a trip ......:lol:
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If money were no object it sounds like a great opportunity. Why would the friends thing be a barrier? I would think if he has no friends by the time of the trip - what a great chance to form some, if he does have friendships then it won't be divisive if some go and some don't unless he allows it to become an issue.

DD starts at her grammar in September. We are helping out at the Spruce up Saturday of DIY tasks next month - and she isn't even yet at the school but think it shows willing and a keenness to show commitment to the school. It also doesn't cost the same as a trip to Florida.

Reading your post it sounds as though you have perhaps other reservations that are maybe manifesting themselves in this quandary about the trip but are perhaps rooted elsewhere???
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

If you're not sure for yr 7 ask if they are planning on running the trip in years to come. It sounds very similar to trip our neighbours son did from Marling last year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My mantra is a la Nancy Reagan. :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:My mantra is a la Nancy Reagan. :wink:
:lol: :lol:
scary mum
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

my son is in year 8, and we had the same letter from Marling as soon as we had accepted a place and were a bit :shock:

In reality, about 30 children go from across year 7, 8, and 9.
It is an amazing trip, and probably good value for all the things they do, but it was way out of our price league and we just said sorry, no from the beginning.
Because the kids are drawn from several year groups, there isn't really any pressure from others to go.
I wouldn't worry about friends, he may not be going with a particular friend, but there will be others on the trip that he will be able to pal up with.

It looks as if the trip runs every 2 years, so if he doesn't go this year, he may get a chance to go in year 9. Ds has had the letter about the trip for sept, when he is in year 9, but the answer is the same, too expensive for us.

There are other trips, not nearly as expensive and with more of their own year group, eg one to the battle fields of France. There is also a ski trip, which again is a few children from each year and we have said, no, too expensive.

I think about 5-10 people went from year 7 to Florida, out of a year of 120.
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Thank you.

That is hugely helpful. Yr 9 sounds much better. The context (that the majority don't go) is helpful.

Our son is going to Marling from a class of 8 in a v small school. He has been worried about going as he won't know anyone. But I wouldn't say I have any other reservations. I have never heard a bad report about Marling and have met so many boys, and young men that have been and say how much they enjoyed it. Indeed our current babysitter has just left Marling.

If anything you might hear in my voice, me getting my heard around my baby going to BIG SCHOOL!

Mrs D
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

I asked Marling and they said it was a whole school trip
I would have thought that this meant that the whole school is going and therefore would have also felt pressurised to go. After receiving various letters for school trips, I now know this means that it is open to all school years, rather than set years.

They say that several year 6 parents have shown an interest. I wonder if they will still have this interest when they find out the cost :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD's school did the 'Florida trip' for the first time last October half-term and by all accounts it was pretty good ( some of DD's friends went;. she is in year 10). The school had originally set it up just for the sixth form the previous year, but had to reschedule it and open it up to more years due to lack of uptake. DD had to make do with three days in Brum instead this time, but I have an awful feeling we may have promised to consider it if it comes around again :oops: .

DS2's school runs Science Dept trip to the European Space Agency in Belgium in year 10, but this is definitely a 'Science' trip, less of a glorified holiday. DS1 really enjoyed it ad we are hoping that DS2 will be doing well enough to be invited to go in a couple of years' time, assuming that it is still running.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx