DCHS, BHS, WHS - Length of school day & a few other things!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Charlotte.Bronte

DCHS, BHS, WHS - Length of school day & a few other things!

Post by Charlotte.Bronte »

Hi

Currently live in London and planning a long awaited move to Bucks. Am considering DCHS, BHS, and WHS for DD. I am aware of the 11+, cartchment areas, and will certainly attend open days however in the meantime I would be grateful if anyone could confirm the following for each school:

1. Length of School Day, i.e. start and finish times.
2. Extended care facility/times. I work full-time and this option will be invaluable and most probably a necessity.
3. Contact with neighbouring boys schools - what form does this take, how regular is it. I have no idea!

Thanks

JE
Booklady

Re: DCHS, BHS, WHS - Length of school day & a few other thin

Post by Booklady »

BHS is about 8.45- 3.30 (DD in Y11)
She catches the bus from Burnham about 8am, and gets home on the school bus about 4.10pm.

There are after school clubs on offer - depends what your DD likes to do. But check she can still get home afterwards - for us, any afterschool activities entailed a parental car run for pickup (no public buses run North / South)

But even in Y7 my DD came home on the bus, walked home, unlocked the door and got on with her homework until the rest of us got home - no need for extended care (and she wouldn't have thanked me!! :lol: :lol: :roll: )

In Y7 & 8 they had combined discos with various boys schools on various occasions. My DD has been involved with Scouts (Explorers) and Theatre groups outside of school to keep up some mixed gender experiences!

HTH
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Hi Jane.Eyre (a bit confusing as we already have a JaneEyre!)
You also need to look at the Upper schools where you are thinking of moving to - which ones would you be happy with if your daughter did not pass the 11 plus? Every year people move to Bucks "for the grammar schools" only to find that their child does not pass the 11 plus & is stuck with a failing Upper (some Uppers are great). It sounds as though you have planned this move anyway, maybe for other reasons, but please keep this in mind.
Most of the local schools keep the same sort of hours (I see the buses). I don't think any would have extended care - they wouldn't expect people to need it in senior school. There will be after school clubs (but the transport is a problem), but not every day, and at many pupils can arrive early but there is no formal "extended care".
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The websites should give you this sort of information - do look at a mixed Grammar school like BGS or SWBGS.
Charlotte.Bronte

Thanks for the excellent advice - some points I had not considered.

My DD is currently aged 5 and I totally forgot that at some point extended care will not be required. I will indeed check bus routes/times.

Haven't really considered co-ed but need to investigate so pros/cons can be understood - thanks for the prompt.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The best Uppers currently in South Bucks are Great Marlow, Amersham and Chalfonts Community College [Misbourne as well if you go a bit further north] - make sure you are not in catchment for any of the others.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DD is currently aged 5 and I totally forgot that at some point extended care will not be required. I will indeed check bus routes/times.
I can almost guarantee that the school bus routes & times will have changed in 6 years time - not substantially maybe, but nevertheless BCC is always trying to find ways of saving money by combining routes etc.
My advice would be to visit the schools (Uppers and mixed gender too), find one you like where both grammar & Upper schools are acceptable to you & settle near there. Of course some of the Uppers which are struggling now could have turned themselves around in 6 years - you are planning a long way ahead!
scary mum
Charlotte.Bronte

Yes can't wait to visit the schools. I have been on the internet all day looking at the the websites and there are some open days coming up. So I will take a look.

In terms of areas, I'm planning to rent a place in High Wycombe next year as DD starts a prep. So will have plenty of time to have a look around South Bucks. You mentioned Chalfont - that is my list to look at. Really looking forward to it - have only ever lived in London and very much need a change.

Talking of change I need to change my username to avoid confusion with a user of same name.
Last edited by Charlotte.Bronte on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Chalfont Community college is actually in Chalfont St Peter.

Watch the area you move to in High Wycombe - it is not everyone's cup of tea.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Jane.Eyre wrote:Talking of change I need to change my username to avoid confusion with a user of same name.
That would be a good idea. Please PM (Private Message, top left-hand corner) me with a suggested new username, and I will ask the Programmer to make the change for you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now