Gloucestershire State Primaries

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JedHiddleston

Gloucestershire State Primaries

Post by JedHiddleston »

Hello there! Am relatively new to all this however we are having to consider a move to Gloucestershire (from Kent) over the next 6months as we both have rather elderly parents who need a bit of support. As we have two primary age children we need to focus not only on our parents, but on our children too. One is very bright and could really suit a grammar (although probably more Marling than Pates - we do have a tiny bit of knowledge ref the grammars). What we are struggling with is a state primary which will support preparation / entry to the eleven+ process. If anyone has any thoughts then please, let me know. Our second child may or may not be grammar material - so ideally a really good state secondary as an option would also be very helpful. I don't ask for much, do I?! Primary suggestions would be wonderful. Location is very open.

Many, many thanks. Jed.
Mrsdevonshire

Re: Gloucestershire State Primaries

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

I wasn't aware any state primary schools were allowed to support any 11+ preparation. Lots of the Independant schools do formally like Richard Pates and Westonbirt.

Lots of good schools in Gloucestershire. Big and small. Ours are in a small village school (about 100 children) with the mixed classes being great for both my 2 (yr 5 & 6 - son off to Marling as they both aimed to be top of their class and work a year ahead with older children. We moved here from Sussex knowing nothing about the 11+ system. Will watch this thread with interest.

I'd say if your child is bright maybe all you need is a tutor to assess and advise how you (or they) can prepare them.

Mrs D
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I would be surprised if you found a state primary anywhere that gets involved in any of the 11+. To start with, verbal and nonverbal reasoning are not in the state curriculum. Even where the entrance exams consist of only maths and English, it is all entirely down to parents to make sure their children cover the relevant material. The official line from most, if not all, selective schools is 'no tutoring or special preparation are needed, all exams are based on state primary curriculum''. I was once told by a state primary headteacher that their job was to make sure children were literate and numerate and if parents chose to go down a selective route, it was their business.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JedHiddleston

Post by JedHiddleston »

Thank you so much - like I say, I'm am new to all this and am trying to understand our options. ANY recommendations (and if you would prefer to message me independently then please do) for Primary Schools in the area would be much appreciated. We will certainly look into the tutor side of things as well. Mrs D may I ask which primary your children attend?

Thank you again.
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Have attempted to PM you. Let me know if it worked.

Mrs D
JedHiddleston

Post by JedHiddleston »

Mrs D - thank you - sadly it hasn't arrived so I've attempted the same - hopefully if that comes through you can reply to it!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I think you will also find it will depend upon where you decide to live within the county. I have had friends who have moved to the county and struggled to get places for their children in popular/good schools because there was no space. One friend only got accepted because they one child had been at the school a few years earlier. Another frien with 3 children got offered 3 different children in different areas of Cheltenham, which meant it was impossible for her.

Schools which have a reputation for having several children each year going to the GS will be popular and oversubscribed.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

One of the great things about the Gloucestershire grammars is that when you go to the Y7 parents information evenings they are all proud to tell you that they have children from between 60 and 80 different primary schools. Most of our schools are pretty good. You may be better finding a school or two you like, then coming back and asking for PM's on those schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now