Help needed understanding Bucks Grammar Schools - allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlotte.Bronte

Help needed understanding Bucks Grammar Schools - allocation

Post by Charlotte.Bronte »

Good morning

Would be grateful for explanation of this table http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/891221/ ... 032013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; entitled 'BUCKS GRAMMAR SCHOOLS - ALLOCATION PROFILE'. I deliberately picked this slightly older version.

Looking at Dr Challoner's High School, it says "Some applicants offered under rule 2 (catchment) to a distance of 6.497 miles"

Does this mean pupils living within the catchment area but further out than 6.497 miles from DCHS were unsuccessful in gaining a place? Or am I missing the point?

I am considering settling in the Chalfonts for DCHS therefore need to gauge how close the house needs to be to school. Ideally I would locate anywhere within the DCHS catchment however I realise this may not be sensible to assure a place.

Thank you.
Sally-Anne

Re: Help needed understanding BUCKS GRAMMAR SCHOOLS - ALLOCA

Post by Sally-Anne »

Charlotte.Bronte wrote:Would be grateful for explanation of this table http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/891221/ ... 032013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; entitled 'BUCKS GRAMMAR SCHOOLS - ALLOCATION PROFILE'. I deliberately picked this slightly older version.

Looking at Dr Challoner's High School, it says "Some applicants offered under rule 2 (catchment) to a distance of 6.497 miles"

Does this mean pupils living within the catchment area but further out than 6.497 miles from DCHS were unsuccessful in gaining a place?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. You can see the full historic picture of allocations here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4secvz8qh4bhi ... .xlsx?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note, though, that DCHS has added an extra class for the last two years, and may well do the same in future, so that extends the distance considerably. (I suspect you've picked up on that from reading other threads.)
Charlotte.Bronte

Thanks Sally-Anne, just printing the table now.

The last 3 entries for DCHS are 'OA to 9.975', 'OA to 8.142', and 'OA to 3.748'.

Does this mean all pupils in catchment were successful in gaining a place, and the school needed to admit pupils outside catchment to fill the year groups?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Charlotte.Bronte wrote:The last 3 entries for DCHS are 'OA to 9.975', 'OA to 8.142', and 'OA to 3.748'.

Does this mean all pupils in catchment were successful in gaining a place, and the school needed to admit pupils outside catchment to fill the year groups?
Yes, that's right. Do bear in mind though that "past performance is no guarantee ... (etc)".
Charlotte.Bronte

Thank you for confirming.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are catchment maps here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2504388 ... t_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a catchment checker here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... ent-areas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However catchments can and do change ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:However catchments can and do change ...
Over 5/6 years that is always a possibility, but the situation in Bucks for school allocations is very stable for the most part, so there is no prospect of changes to catchment areas at present.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There have been changes in the last six years - more so in North Bucks - but with changes in population density I see this as increasingly likely.
Charlotte.Bronte

Hello again

I am busy looking at catchment areas for DD who turns 6 this July. I have not had time yet to investigate the 11+ and would be grateful for some tips in the meantime.

1. What year might DD typically sit the 11+ and it always in the same month? She was born July 2010.
2. What year do I need to submit the application form and it always in the same month?
3. Do the results come out the same year and always the same month?
4. I will be living in the catchment area to give DD the best chance at securing a grammar school place. However what are the rules for when I need to be living at the address? For example do I need to be living IA when I submit the application form?

Thanks for the assistance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

1) Year 6 - currently mid September

2) If your daughter attends a Bucks Primary you are automatically entered for the Transfer Test (new name)

3) Results usually in October

4) Currently you need to be in Bucks by October 1st to give the best chance of a place in the March allocations - but see no 2 - if in a Bucks Primary [or Partner school] you sit the Test in your own school. If not you are alloated a 'sitting' in a GS.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... y-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now