SCGSG class size?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eagle88

SCGSG class size?

Post by Eagle88 »

Can anyone tell me class/form sizes for Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls?
The PAN is 180 which makes me think there are 6 form groups of 30 but there are only 5 houses and I thought each form belonged to one house.
They don't split 180 girls into 5 forms do they? i.e. 36 girls per form

My dd has an offer from there which is why I'm interested.
khanji17

Re: SCGSG class size?

Post by khanji17 »

I believe there are around 30 girls in each class. That's what I gathered from the open morning on 11 march.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

There are 30 per class and 6 classes. It used to be that in each class all the girls were in the same house - they would be named 7A,7T,7W,7V and 7N. Now they have an extra class(intake increased from 150 to 180 a couple of years ago) the classes are named with the teachers initials and all houses are represented in each form. Hope that helps!
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

Thanks both, that's really helpful :D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Any other questions feel free to ask - DD's in years 7 and 10.
Eagle88

Re: SCGSG

Post by Eagle88 »

Thank you booellesmum! That is very kind of you.

I have a few questions if that's ok?
It would be really interesting to get your opinion as an experienced parent.

Are your dds happy and challenged?
How much homework do they get?
Are you happy with home-school communication?
Is it easy to talk to someone if there is a problem?
What are standards of behaviour like?
Do your dds like the school?
Is it easy to make friends?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Hi,
Yes,both happy there. DD1 made friends quickly(only one to go from her school) but her friendship groups have changed over the 3 1/2 years she has been there. She now has a firm little group of friends and is really happy. DD2 only there since Sept.(only 2 went from her school, but she didn't really know the other girl as she was in a different class at primary), also made friends really quickly and loves it there.
DD1 says that occasionally girls fall out but there has never been any bullying (unlike at the comp.her friend goes to.)
Communication is really good - there is a newsletter sent every Friday by e-mail and teachers do write in their planners - especially if they forget to take any kit or forget to hand homework in!
The pastoral side has been excellent. DD1 had a few personal issues a while ago and the support was great, I also had cause to phone them about another girl recently who was having problems - they got straight back to me and were really supportive.
DD2 has forgotten to take things in twice that she needed - the office staff were brilliant with her (she tends to get very upset when things go wrong) and managed to get hold of my mother in law who could collect the things from home and take them into her.
They both feel challenged with the work they are given - big difference compared to primary. There is probably on average about an hours homework a night to start with - it is enough and relevant but they have never seemed overwhelmed with it.
They do a lot of small tests during the term so teachers can check on their progress and it helps to keep them on track.
The behaviour at the school is excellent - DD1 occasionally complains that a few girls talk a bit too much in certain lessons but that is about it!

Edit: I did my best to discourage them from going to a single sex school as both DH and I didn't like it (I went to SCGSG as well and he went to Bishop Vesey), they both chose to take the test and go there. In retrospect they have both made the right decision for them and I was completely wrong!
Last edited by booellesmum on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

It sounds like a wonderful school and great that your dds happy & thriving there.
My dd was really impressed when she went to the welcome morning and is looking forward to starting.
She won't know anyone as we live in Warwick and don't know the area well so looking to move over summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply so comprehensively - much appreciated :D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Anything else just ask!
There is a lot of homework on the school transitional website to do over the summer before they start. Don't get bogged down with it - it is not essential.DD1 did it all - and was very cross that hardly anyone else had bothered, DD2 did none of it as had a late offer and did not have access - it was not a problem.
Oh, and I wish I hadn't wasted money on the tracksuit that has never been worn!
khanji17

Post by khanji17 »

Its a great read and a BIG help for the new moms starting there.

I also had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What time can the DD be dropped off in the morning? I live a bit of a distance (20 to 25 mins away) and need to drop my little one for 8:45 (about 15 minutes away), also what time do they finish school?

2. How is the yellow bus service if used? Reliable? Always on time? Is there a concept of car sharing among the parents living in the same area?

3. About the uniform, the leaflet said it costs around £140, is it worth buying everything from there or are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks for offering to answer the questions :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now