Seek an advice to choose 11+ tuition

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mu81

Seek an advice to choose 11+ tuition

Post by mu81 »

Hi, my DS is going to Yr5 next year and will be starting 11+ grammar exam preparation from September/October 2016, to try getting a place in Reading Boys School. He's currently practising VS, NVS, Maths and English comprehension workbooks/worksheets, to some extent but not too regularly. He is very good in Maths. He is a hardworking but shy child.

I'm currently in a dilemma whether I should send him to AETuition in Slough or go for a private tutor (who teaches in a group of 5) in Maidenhead (where we are based).

Hence, can anyone please advise me to take right decision? If you want, you can PM to me. Thanks in advance.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
Tinkers

Re: Seek an advice to choose 11+ tuition

Post by Tinkers »

It sounds like you are already doing a good job of DIY tutoring at home. Maybe you just need to up the amount you are doing a bit instead.

My DD is shy and I know she worked much better with me than she would have done with a tutor, as she felt much more at ease asking me questions than she would have been with a tutor.

As for tutors, if you go that route, you need to find the one that suits your DS best.
mu81

Post by mu81 »

Thanks you very much for your kind advice, Tinkers!
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

We're home tutoring, but the class sizes at some of the larger tutor centres can be very large (the one you mentioned has 24 or more in the class my friend's daughter goes to). So especially if your child is quiet I'd have thought they were better in small-group or home (individual) teaching.
Ultimately it's what works for you best as a family.
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

Dear mu81,
I am also in same boat as you. My DS is also going to be in Y5 in September16. I am also home tutoring him since last summer. He is doing well in some tests. I am using AE publications books for all tests and some Bonds books.

Can you PM me if you know any private tutor in Maidenhead? My older son is already in Reading Grammar school in Y9. Now it's turn for my younger one.

Will appreciate your reply and happy to give you any advise if you need. We live in Hamshire at the moment but planning to move to Maidenhead.
Thanks
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

mu81,
Just to echo what others have said - whether you chose to send your DS to a group tuition centre or to an individual tutor, depends entirely on what setup would suit him best.

Some children thrive in a group (they enjoy a little bit of competition against their peers), some may find it a bit intimidating and yet others may just take a chance to 'hide' at the back of the room to avoid having to do too much (from what you're saying, the latter would not be a risk with your DS :) ) What suits your child best, only he and you are able to tell, so it is very difficult to advise anything.

As Tinkers pointed out, your son seems to be doing pretty well working with you at home already, so maybe you do not need a tutor for your DS anyway?

By all means, get one if you feel it would make a big difference to your DS's preparations, but don't think you have to hire a tutor just because most of other children you know (I'm guessing here) are being tutored. Good luck. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mu81

Post by mu81 »

Thanks Aethel and PurpleDuck!

rashminder12, I hv PMed you the link.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now