SATs: Quick revision and SPaG websites

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Imranali

SATs: Quick revision and SPaG websites

Post by Imranali »

Hi everyone,

Hope you've all had a fun-filled yet restful Easter. I just have a few queries about SATs that I hope can be answered on here.

1. My child has completed the 11+ and got into our 1st choice school. Will she still need normal amount of prep or can she relax?

2. If the answer to the above question is YES, what things do you recommend for last-minute prep. DD's school have given them a subscription to a SPaG website and a Maths website but the SPaG one only has questions, no explanation on what anything is. Does anyone know a website or anything that has these things on it.

Thanks in advance!!
PurpleDuck

Re: SATs: Quick revision and SPaG websites

Post by PurpleDuck »

I think your daughter knows all she needs for her SATs and doesn't really need any more revision - unless, of course, she is a sort of a child who insists on doing extra work at home. Otherwise, you can both relax and rest now. :)

My DS is in the same situation and the only school-related thing he does at home is obligatory homework. As for SATs, I imagine he is more than ready and could do them tomorrow. The last few months of year 6 are his time to relax, play and generally enjoy himself.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
moved

Post by moved »

Sadly, the GPaS test is far from the 11+

Lots of PHD and masters students failed it recently. Times article this weekend.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

moved wrote:Sadly, the GPaS test is far from the 11+

Lots of PHD and masters students failed it recently. Times article this weekend.
DS did a fair bit of GPaS practice (or SPAG as our school calls it) for his 11+, he worked through two Scholastic level 6 sets of tests and some CGP workbooks and test as well. Plus, they seem to be doing nothing more than SATs practice at school at the moment, I'm pretty sure that's more than enough... I wouldn't be surprised if he was better at it than me. :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My ds's SPAG and maths for SATs this year is very different from the 11+ requirements.
He has a stupid amount of homework for it this Easter and it is making me very grumpy.
He is coping a bit better than me.
However there has been one maths question this morning that, despite my maths A'level, I am struggling to work out :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PM it to me if you don't want to post it loobylou.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

loobylou wrote:My ds's SPAG and maths for SATs this year is very different from the 11+ requirements.
He has a stupid amount of homework for it this Easter and it is making me very grumpy.
Did the school give year 6 children homework for the Easter holiday? Why? I didn't think primary schools do that sort of thing, ours does not give any homework for holidays at all. Is that unusual?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I bumped into the mum of one of DDs primary school friends the other day. Her son is in year 6 and apparently they have been given a shed load of stuff to do over Easter. It was a bit of a shock because the school were reasonably relaxed about them when DD did them. There's been a change of head and a 'needs improvement' OFSTED inspection since then.

In addition she was looking at the English stuff and realising she really didn't have a clue, and neither did her year 9 daughter. :shock:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Oh dear me. The new head + poor Ofsted report probably explain it... Still, I think it's really unfair on children and their parents to be expected to spend their holiday revising for SATs. And what on Earth are they teaching them in English? :shock:
A number of families in our school went away for 2-3 weeks this Easter and if the children were given work to do during the holidays, they simply wouldn't do it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

She said the same, there were a number of DCs who were off for various reasons just before Easter who didn't get it, and those who were going away.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now