Recipes / Baking

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Recipes / Baking

Post by doodles »

Quite a while ago somebody posted a really good flapjack recipe, I wrote it out, used it and of course I've lost it and now can't find the thread. Anyway back to lunch boxes on Monday so if anybody can help I will have two very grateful sons.

Thanks
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Re: Recipes / Baking

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 50#p301668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is this the one?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thankyou, I couldn't find it at all on my phone and I'm in the shop now. Happy boys :D

Any other good ideas ladies and gents?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

Have you seen that the big sugar company (the one which for some reason has a dead lion covered in bees on its golden syrup tin - when I was younger I used to wonder if there was a way of making honey from rotting flesh) has renamed caster sugar 'baking sugar'? I feel disproportionately aggrieved by this and sense, possibly wrongly, an American influence. So far we are spared 'all-purpose flour' and those dreaded cups, but have sadly lost the fairy cake battle to cup cakes. I may try and start a campaign to save caster sugar.

I was recently looking up a recipe for a Polish dish and was amused to see on the internet various versions of it which had supposedly been handed down from great -grandmother - containing onion powder and garlic powder. What even are those? I am sure great-granny had ready access to them in Poland; not.

And in answer to your question doodles, maybe we could revive the famous samosa thread?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I am sure I remember onion powder and powder - sort of spice consistency but strongly flavoured. Presume kept OK when couldn't have fresh onions / garlic..

I must say they are still fairy cakes in this house
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Have you seen that the big sugar company (the one which for some reason has a dead lion covered in bees on its golden syrup tin - when I was younger I used to wonder if there was a way of making honey from rotting flesh)
From the corporate website:
Lyle had strong religious beliefs, which is why the tin’s famous logo depicts strongman Samson’s ‘lion and bees’ from the Bible’s Old Testament, registered as Lyle’s trademark. ‘Out of the strong came forth sweetness’, as the quote goes; where bees produce honey inside the lion’s carcass, rich syrup pours from the well-loved tin… And the logo and design remain unchanged to this day
doodles

Post by doodles »

I too have a bag of that dratted sugar in my cupboard. What is wrong with caster sugar, I'm right behind you Amber, perhaps an e-petition for parliament to discuss :lol:

I seem to remember my mum using celery salt all the time :?

I also have a baking disaster on my cooling rack. It tastes delicious but it's a bit of a train crash to look at. It's a chocolate and almond marble bundt and even though I greased the tin well it just wouldn't come out and fell apart :cry: First time I've used the tin and not going to try again in a hurry.

Ah, samosas delicious but why do they always have peas in them yuk yuk yuk :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't Even get me started on cups. It's when they then go to 'sticks' of butter as well. What on earth is a stick of butter. (I did actually know and have it written down somewhere). Apparently there's also a big margin of error when measuring, say flour, with cups as well, even if you use the same cups. It's as much as 20% when baking needs more precision than that.
doodles

Post by doodles »

A stick of butter :shock: oh, give me a break, I've only just moved over to grams :shock: :oops: :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'll tell them where they can 'stick' their butter ... :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now