What should I do

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hanni

What should I do

Post by hanni »

Good evening to all
I just registered with elevenplusaxams :D
My son is in year 4. He has being doing Kumon since year1. I know same people don't like Kumon but it has help my son very much. :(
Since the start of this year we been doing 11 plus.
My question is should I stop Kumon and get 11 plus tutor once a week?
Am hoping my son goes to CLSB city of London, Dulwich college or Alleyns because these school are very close to us suddenly no grammar schools in our area the closest one is in Sutton.
Any advise would help me very much. Is there any parent here from south London who's children got into those schools or anyone who can help us.
Many thanks to all
Last edited by hanni on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scary mum

Re: What should I do

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum :).
It might be an idea if one of the moderators moved this to the Independent Schools section where you might get more information relevant to these schools.
scary mum
hanni

Post by hanni »

scary mum wrote:Welcome to the forum :).
It might be an idea if one of the moderators moved this to the Independent Schools section where you might get more information relevant to these schools.
Many thanks for you reply. I hope in the near future to get more information for all of you. He is my first child I didn't even know 11plus until one parent in Kumon told me about it. P.S the main reason why I did Kumon is his teacher at year1 told me that me son was below what they expected him which open my eye :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not sure what you mean by 'suddenly no grammar schools in our area', though?? St.Olave's and St.Saviour's decamped to Orpington in the 1960s; I can't remember when Archbishop Tenison's stopped being a grammar school, but it was long before your DS started school, I think :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hanni

Post by hanni »

ToadMum wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'suddenly no grammar schools in our area', though?? St.Olave's and St.Saviour's decamped to Orpington in the 1960s; I can't remember when Archbishop Tenison's stopped being a grammar school, but it was long before your DS started school, I think :) .
Many thanks :D
True all the school in our area are not grammar anymore even Archbishop Tenison which is the only school local I would happy for my son to go. But by the time he is in secondary school all will be academy
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City, Dulwich and Alleyns are schools that many students prepare for. There were 600 boys who sat this year for about 60 places at City and there is also a prep school full of boys who are allocated places.

The levels required in English Comprehension and Creative Writing for these schools are a lot higher than Kumon would be offering you.

If you look on the websites of these three schools you will find examples of their English papers and you will be able to compare the text and the level of the questions with what your ds has been doing at Kumon for yourself. DG
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Hi, my son is now at CLS in year 7. We didn't do any tutoring for maths, as he was in a prep school, but we did some English tutoring with a "proper" tutor for 2 terms before the exam. The sample English paper on their website scared us! I have no idea what Kumon is, sorry.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kumon won't be giving you the right sort of preparation - there is virtually no problem solving.

I'd stop the Kumon now.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hanni wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'suddenly no grammar schools in our area', though?? St.Olave's and St.Saviour's decamped to Orpington in the 1960s; I can't remember when Archbishop Tenison's stopped being a grammar school, but it was long before your DS started school, I think :) .
Many thanks :D
True all the school in our area are not grammar anymore even Archbishop Tenison which is the only school local I would happy for my son to go. But by the time he is in secondary school all will be academy
It does depend on what sort of academy - 'mainstream academy converter' (schools which had to be meeting certain standards in order to be allowed to assume 'independence') or the kind which were forced to be taken over by chains such as Harris, because they were performing poorly. Round our way (Southend) all the grammar schools and some of the comprehensives and primary schools are the 'converter' type of academy - as, it would appear, is Kingsdale School in Dulwich. Now that was a real dive back in the seventies, but now one of the most sought-after schools in London, by all accounts.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Hi Hanni

Your son has been doing very well at Kumon to be at those levels at his age. Normally level F Maths should be more than sufficient by the beginning of Yr 6. However, Kumon can only take you so far. It is very good at preparing for fundamentals in Mental Maths and English comprehension analysis. However it does not cover other topics such as measurements, word problems, geometry and, most importantly, exam technique.

For English Kumon will not help you very much for the writing parts in particular.

I would start looking for a tutor if I were you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now