Logistics as a reason for appeal in OVERSUBSCRIPTION Glouces

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
theseneschal

Logistics as a reason for appeal in OVERSUBSCRIPTION Glouces

Post by theseneschal »

Hi, I'm going over the Q&As, old posts etc looking for info on OVERSUBSCRIPTION appeals.

I've seen reference to logistics as a reason to give a child a place. Is that relevant to 11+ appeals for over subscription too would anyone know?

Any advice on 11+ over subscription would be gratefully received :-)
theseneschal

Re: Logistics as a reason for appeal in OVERSUBSCRIPTION Glo

Post by theseneschal »

I've had some lovely PMs thank you.

Basically I'm asking whether I can argue for a particular grammar school (qualified but on waiting list so would be over subscription) because I can't realistically do drop off at our primary school and the secondary school offered as they're nearly 14 miles apart.

The grammar I'm appealing for is further away but the bus is 2 mins after eldest child's school bus and at the same location.
:-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I helped someone win a similar case - you need copies of the bus timetables to show why it doesn't work.

This family weren't offered their choice of GS and there was a school bus from their village. They were offered a school with no transport other than being driven in a direction completely opposite to where the parents worked - it was just not physically possible. Copies of bus timetables and proof were supplied.
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Thank you guest55, I wasn't sure whether it applied to selective grammars as it would to a non selective secondary school. It's good to know that it does. Thank you!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They were in catchment for their first choice which also helped but the main focus of their case was 'It's impossible to get there from where we live'.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:They were in catchment for their first choice which also helped but the main focus of their case was 'It's impossible to get there from where we live'.
One assumes the school offered was one that they hadn't put on their CAF? Hard to argue that you can't get your child to a school if you have ranked it even in last place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Guest55 wrote:I helped someone win a similar case - you need copies of the bus timetables to show why it doesn't work.

This family weren't offered their choice of GS and there was a school bus from their village. They were offered a school with no transport other than being driven in a direction completely opposite to where the parents worked - it was just not physically possible. Copies of bus timetables and proof were supplied.
That's pretty much exactly the position we are in and are using this as grounds for appeal. I can't really comment on how effective it might be at this point but it has to be worth a shot.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Playing Devil's advocate here though - what would you have done if the child hadn't passed the grammar test? Presumably there must be a school near enough for you to go to in such a scenario?

As Gloucestershire ranks children and cuts off at a certain point, there is always a danger of not getting a place, so presumably all parents in this position put another feasible school on the CAF. Were you allocated a school you hadn't put on the CAF?
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Hi Amber, yes I understand you. If she hadn't passed there would have been a choice of three schools. 8.7 miles, 6.6 miles and 9.2 miles away. We're very rural! That is our most feasible school.

I have one child already at grammar and then the appeal DD2 plus two in primary. I can't change where dd1 and the last two are established.

We're not unique in the difficulty of getting to a local school from a rural location and there are other factors to consider in our appeal but I think if it is a genuine problem it should go in there too.

We're in the waiting list so fingers crossed! :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now