academic evidence.. pls help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
devastated mummy

academic evidence.. pls help

Post by devastated mummy »

1) Is it a good idea (or not) to include a letter that shows my child passed a private school exam. (My child howver didn't get a place offer at the end) / failed the interview!
The letter only says we are delighted to inform that dc passed the written exams etc.
I want to include this letter along with another independant school letter where dc was actually offered a place.
2) HT support letter only says 'I support' & refers to 'hard working..' though some great comments about my dc (I have read the info here about how 'strongly support' is better etc.. Though we don't have that is still worth going ahead with the appeal?
Thanks to all the helpful people out there in such distressing time we are going thru!
Guest55

Re: academic evidence.. pls help

Post by Guest55 »

If its for a state school then I would look for levels or CATs scores. It's not easy to judge the standard a Private school is looking for so 'passing' can mean very little.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Personally, I wouldn't even mention anything in relation to private education.
I'm not sure you really have anything to gain, as private school exam pass marks are set at such different levels depending on the popularity of the school.
There is also the possibility that it could affect your case in a negative way, as it may be seen that you have an alternative if your appeal isn't successful.
That obviously shouldn't make a difference, but it could sway the panel when comparing your case to others.
devastated mummy

Post by devastated mummy »

Thanks G55 & purpledog... Anyone else to give some input? What do other people advise?
please?
I'm concerned that if we dont use these letters, the evidence is not much to show apart from a single letter from HT. Also, due to finances, private education is not an option & we have already accepted local non selective state place where dc will go if the appeal is not successful.
mad?

Post by mad? »

devastated mummy wrote:Thanks G55 & purpledog... Anyone else to give some input? What do other people advise?
please?
I'm concerned that if we dont use these letters, the evidence is not much to show apart from a single letter from HT. Also, due to finances, private education is not an option & we have already accepted local non selective state place where dc will go if the appeal is not successful.
I agree with PurpleDog and G55. The letter is not relevant as whatever the school its assessment methods are different. It also might lead a panel to query why did she not get an offer and that is not going to help. Use the data available from her records at school. Good luck.
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No...don't include them. You are appealing for a place at THAT particular school. Focus on proving that she is academically able (using current school levels, progress in SATs from key stage 2 and HT letter) and why this particular school is the right one for her.

The panel will understand that you have accepted a local non selective school place - you would be daft not to - as you are ensuring your daughter has a place somewhere. I doubt very much they will be interested in any private school offers - the standard, as others have said, vary so much and are not comparable even with each other. Appeals are difficult even, if you had a really strong case, so make a point of being positive to your daughter about the school she has been allocated, just in case.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now