Bond assessment paper answers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbiee

Bond assessment paper answers

Post by Newbiee »

Hi,
I have lost the answers for Bond assessment book 2007. I have lost the answers for entire set english,VR,NVR,Maths. It would be grateful if anyone whose got these books can share the answers.

Thanks
Penguin Mom

Re: Bond assessment paper answers

Post by Penguin Mom »

Hi Newbiee, I had the same issue when I was doing Bond books with my DD. I emailed Bond - here is their reply:-

The answers to our Bond titles are available as a free resource from the Bond Website if you follow the link:
http://www.*** Advertising Censored ***.co.uk/component/b ... Itemid=388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You will be required to 'Register' on the home page in order to gain access to the free resources, but you will find the answers you require under the 'Free Resources' tab. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

This was 3 years ago (can't believe I still had the email!) so I hope this is still valid and resolves your issue. :)
Newbiee

Post by Newbiee »

Thanks Penguin Mom. I have found the answers under the 'Free Resources' Bond online
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Newbiee, you should note that Bond VR books are not very useful for preparing for CEM type exams as set by the Birmingham and Walsall consortiums. They are a good exercise but won't help much in CEM preparation.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

??? bit confused. Why do you say that, re VR and bond?? Are there better VR books e.g schofield and Sims

PP
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Petitpois

I think turtle girl is correct about bond VR not being the best prep for Birmingham KE 11+.

In general, the bond book spends a lot of time on code style questions - alphabetic codes or numeric codes to solve dominate. The problem is that the Birmingham 11+ VR has traditionally never really opted for that style of VR question.

Cloze style questions are more common - so a set of say 10 words In mixed up order and you have to decide which word is not used in a sentence of 9 words and write out the sentence.

Also a text where every now and then a word is missing - you will have to fill in the blank (not certain but I think a bank of words to choose from is provided)

Hang man style words in a text where you may be given 2 letters from eight and need to guess the word - it usually is within text so context will help.

As many have said for years - vocabulary is key - and there is traditionally an antonym or synonym section but it varies from being given the word and a choice of antonyms (for example) or it can be that you are given a word and asked to give a synonym or antonym. There is some of this on bond books.

For the Cloze questions there are now 11+ Cloze books - try typing this in Amazon and they were a huge help on my second campaign with small fry. I can't swear it made the difference , but it was the one thing I did do differently ( we went DIY) between little fish (who didn't quite make it) and small fry who has made KECHG on this year's (2015) exam.

As ever the general advice is read, read, read. It really helps.

Hope that makes more sense petitpois & is of help newbie.

OT
salsa

Post by salsa »

OldTrout wrote:Petitpois

I think turtle girl is correct about bond VR not being the best prep for Birmingham KE 11+.

In general, the bond book spends a lot of time on code style questions - alphabetic codes or numeric codes to solve dominate. The problem is that the Birmingham 11+ VR has traditionally never really opted for that style of VR question.

Cloze style questions are more common - so a set of say 10 words In mixed up order and you have to decide which word is not used in a sentence of 9 words and write out the sentence.

Also a text where every now and then a word is missing - you will have to fill in the blank (not certain but I think a bank of words to choose from is provided)

Hang man style words in a text where you may be given 2 letters from eight and need to guess the word - it usually is within text so context will help.

As many have said for years - vocabulary is key - and there is traditionally an antonym or synonym section but it varies from being given the word and a choice of antonyms (for example) or it can be that you are given a word and asked to give a synonym or antonym. There is some of this on bond books.

For the Cloze questions there are now 11+ Cloze books - try typing this in Amazon and they were a huge help on my second campaign with small fry. I can't swear it made the difference , but it was the one thing I did do differently ( we went DIY) between little fish (who didn't quite make it) and small fry who has made KECHG on this year's (2015) exam.

As ever the general advice is read, read, read. It really helps.

Hope that makes more sense petitpois & is of help newbie.

OT
Thank you for this information. Bond has now CEM VR, but I wonder if the level is right. At least my son takes a long time.

Did you try this one Old Trout?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/1 ... t-CEM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi Salsa:

Not sure if it was out or we missed this change in Bond VR books. We purchased 10 minute bonds (9-10/ 10-11/ 11-12) or had hand me downs in the summer before starting Year 5 (so nearly 2 years ago).

Perhaps someone can come along who has been there and done that and let people know what they think about this new CEM style Bond (?books/ papers) to help them when getting in support materials for this coming Sept 2016 11+.

I fear I'm now retired (both my girls have been through the process) so haven't kept up.

OT
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi. Thank you for the reply. Yes, the new Bond CEM is called English and VR, so, it is combined. Mine says first published in 2013, but I'm afraid I missed it first time. It's just very hard and I wondered if the FPTP is easier. The Bexley CEM my son will do is supposed to be easier and multiple choice, whereas, for most of it, this Bond edition is not.
Not to dishearten my son, I've used it without the timings and in parts, so we're on the sixth and last paper.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi Salsa:

I am afraid we just used 10 minute bond books for weekly practice in manageable chunks and pretty easy for little fish/ small fry to do a few as and when, without much involvement from me.

For practice papers this past exam (so Sept 2015) we used CGP CEM 11+ papers (I think there were 3 sets) - and yes, they were noticeably harder. We tried our first around Easter Y5 with both girls (using older style Bond papers - pre CEM style format for little fish attempt which was Sept 2013) - in both cases they just weren't really ready - so their first attempt at a practice paper was o.k. in places, but shaky in others - in general I felt both girls had a long way to go to achieve the 85% the Bond paper/ CGP papers recommended at this time of year - if that helps.

I also made absolutely sure that if they had a disaster of a paper I would present it as a good thing. Great, we've discovered you don't quite get x or y concept/ mathematical problem/ etc... - so let's go away and work on that before the next practice paper.

hope that helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now