Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist

Eng Lit Books - which fil versions are good

Post by Optimist »

For the following does anyone know of definitive film versions to buy

1. Dr Jekyll and Hyde

2. Macbeth

For Dr Jekyll I have the Spencer Tracy film. But not sure if this is close to the novel.

For Macbeth, not sure I want the recent Michael Fassbender version, but want a definitive older version.
ToadMum

Re: Eng Lit Books - which fil versions are good

Post by ToadMum »

Optimist wrote:For the following does anyone know of definitive film versions to buy

1. Dr Jekyll and Hyde

2. Macbeth

For Dr Jekyll I have the Spencer Tracy film. But not sure if this is close to the novel.

For Macbeth, not sure I want the recent Michael Fassbender version, but want a definitive older version.
If you already have a film version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, you could read the book yourself to check how faithful the film is to it?

For Macbeth, this reviewer likes the 1971 Roman Polanski version, but you may feel that a little less verisimilitude would be a small price to pay not to share a Polanski film with your offspring (if this is why you are searching in the first place?) :lol:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... tions.html
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Thanks, I will do.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Just watched the Fassbender Macbeth, visually interesting but I'm not sure I liked it, I thought there was a fair bit of mumbling - the Ian McKellen & Judi Dench one is supposed to be excellent though.
marigold

Post by marigold »

The Polanski Macbeth is outstanding.
We were taken to see it in the seventies as a school trip, I bet they wouldn't allow that now. We saw the Zefirelli Romeo and Juliet in the same week, I still swoon at the memory of that one.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Well, my son's school will do An Inspector Calls ( I have the 1954 Alastair Sims version), Dr Jekyll (I have the Julia Roberts Mary Reilly, and Spencer Tracy). As for Macbeth, may try and judge which movie versions schools use. In relation to Dr Jekyll, I am told the 1931 version is the definitive movie.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Optimist, there is a fantastic stage version of Inspector Calls touring at the moment if you get a chance to see it.

I would recommend that students see as many different versions as possible so they do not get fixated on one version. DG
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Daogroupie wrote:Optimist, there is a fantastic stage version of Inspector Calls touring at the moment if you get a chance to see it.

I would recommend that students see as many different versions as possible so they do not get fixated on one version. DG
Thanks, where is it playing.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We went to see it in Wimbledon having been tardy and missed all the tickets at Cambridge.

We had third row seats and it was fantastic. It would really help students studying the play. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now